1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Look no further/farther

Discussion in 'English Only' started by quietdandelion, Jun 29, 2007.

1. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    If you want to practice English writing, look no further/farther because this is the best place.

Which one should I use here, look no further or farther? Thanks.

2. Randisi. Senior Member

Dalian, China
    American English; USA
    I would use "further" for no good reason I can think of.

3. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Hi quietdandelion,

It's further. It's means look no more than this place you speak about, which is the best.

Farther talks about distances.

For instance: This place is the best place to study English, so you need look no further. It's better than that other place; besides, that one is located farther away.

Some people treat these words as the same, though.

I still say further.

AngelEyes

4. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I wonder if this idea comes from the word "far" (referring to distance)

I always think they are the same, but I can be, of course, very wrong.

5. JeffJo Senior Member

USA
    USA, English
    I would use "further" - look no further.

However, some people would use "farther."

There is no real error, either way, since both words are based on the word "far." The spelling "fur" is a variant of "far," that goes all the way back to Middle English dialect. In their ultimate origin, "farther" and "further" are the same word.

The best practice, these days, is to use "farther" when you want to make a literal reference to physical distance. 'I decided to shop at the boutique, even though I had to walk farther to get there.'

Look no further. Don't worry about it any further. Upon further examination, our first estimate was too low. Even further on that point, allow me to say something else.

Saturn is farther from earth than Jupiter. I'd like to visit Lee more often, but he moved farther away. I can see farther with my new glasses.

6. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks to my dear and helpful friends.

7. Randisi. Senior Member

Dalian, China
    American English; USA
    On the more humorous side, in 1832 Jeremy Bentham (an authentic British eccentric and general kook) penned a work entitled: Farther Uses of the Dead to the Living.

8. mplsray Senior Member

They're the same word from an etymological point of view. According to the American Heritage Book of English Usage they were once simply variants. "A relatively recent rule, however, states that farther should be reserved for physical distance and further for nonphysical, metaphorical advancement."