1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Look out for me // Be careful with me ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by loureed4, Dec 6, 2012.

1. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hello!

I am wondering myself how to say one sentence. I´ll put the context first:

I am sorrounded by a gang, at night, helpless, they are five, I am one. To frighten them I say:

"Look out for me, I am dangerous, go home" or "Be careful with me, I am dangerous, don´t dare to fight me" ?

don´t know whay but both sound awkward to me, not accurate or appropiate for the context, but I don´t find the proper one.

Thanks in avance!!

2. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Out of these two it's "Be careful with me" that is closer to your intended meaning but I'd advise against using any of those and suggest that you say "Don't mess with me". That's what I'd say, at least. (and by doing so would probably make the members of the gang laugh).

3. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thanks dreamlike,

I thought it was "Look ouf for me!", because I saw in movies: "Look out for that car, go up to the sidewalk" , and expressions like that.

Is it too much too ask why I can´t use neither of them?. Is it because they are just too awkward?

Why would the people belonging to the gang laugh at you with "Don´t mess with me" ?

I can´t understand it well.

Thanks a lot!! :)

4. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    'Look out for that car' would mean 'Watch out for that car (be careful not to be run over over by it)' which is nowhere close to what you want to express.
    You can't really use any of these becaues you want to say something different. It's not your intended meaning.
    They'd probably laugh at me since in your context there are five of them, so my saying "Don't mess with me" wouldn't really impress them :D

5. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    I see, still difficult for me dreamlike, except for the part that they would laugh at you, but that is very complicated, for I could be a superheroe, or a Bruce Lee, hehe.

Thanks a lot for your time!

6. Imber Ranae Senior Member

English - USA
    "Be careful with" means "treat with care", so it has the complete opposite meaning to what you intend. It's definitely wrong here. You could say "be careful around me", in the same way that you might say "be careful around live wires". However, it doesn't seem very idiomatic for the situation you have imagined.

"Look out for" means "anticipate" or "be alert for". The idea of carefulness is secondary.
    I think dreamlike is implying that he isn't very intimidating. Just a joke, in other words, and not relevant to the discussion.

7. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Imber, this reply of you is really enlightening!! , thanks for it!.

So, neither work! , but now I understand why, so, I again express my gratitude.

Then, "Be careful around me", wow, first time I hear it. :) ... or "Don´t mess with me".

8. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I wish you good luck trying to appear intimidating in such a situation:

:D

(sorry, I couldn't help it)

Loureed, the expression you're looking for here is "Don't mess with me".

9. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    ok Dreamlike, "Don´t mess with me" , gee, kind of difficult to me.

Me, being a learner, I am sure if in that situation I would have said: "Hey, be careful, I have a dog and I am really dangerous", hehe, and then they had laughed for sure, because of "Be careful with me" , oh my, English language is and endless task!!

Thanks a lot dreamlike!!

10. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    As is as any other language :)

I find your version "Hey, be careful, I have a dog (I could add "vicious") and am really dangerous" fine, Loureed. :thumbsup: It's just that "Don't mess with me" sounds very challenging (and that's what you want) and seems more idiomatic to me.

11. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    I see dreamlike, thanks a lot!

Just trying with "careful" because I perfectly know that "Don´t mess with me" is one of those things one forgets just because I won´t use it often, and the less you use it, the quicker you forget, I know that.

THANKS A LOT AGAIN!! :)