looking for a phrase meaning "to eat fast"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by drei_lengua, Mar 15, 2007.

1. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

Hello everyone,

Can someone help me figure out a phrase for "to eat fast", another way of saying this, a slang way?

Thanks in advance.

2. zazap Senior Member

Canada, French and English
    To gobble up!
  3. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    Another: to wolf down

English is truly a strange language! We "gobble up" but "wolf down"! :rolleyes:
  4. padredeocho Banned

United States
    The starving boy wolfed down the turkey. Also: gobbled up, snarfed, snarfed down, inhaled
  5. Ms Missy Senior Member

U.S. Virgin Islands
    USA English
    I've even heard the expression "choked down" ... meaning eating in a hurry. For example someone with a limited lunch time might say, "I had to choke down my lunch in order to get back to work on time."
  6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Also, "bolted" or "bolted down", "scarfed" or "scarfed down", "inhaled".
  7. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    In BE 'inhaled' would mean he took it in through his nose!
  8. tottallyoff

tottallyoff Senior Member

not really. Direct translation - yes. Indirect it means that he ate it as fast as though he was inhailing it.
  9. tottallyoff

'Bolted' means to leave fast or to get away in a hurry, as fast as a lightning.

For example - He bolted down the street on his bike. = He left very fast.
  10. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    Sorry to go on tottallyoff, but I really don't know an English person who could use inhale in this way, even figuratively. It means to take into the lungs, not the stomach. Let's see if people disagree with me.
  11. tottallyoff

well I live and work in london and I have heard people use it in this context. It could be interesting to find out what other say about this.
  12. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    Well, thanks for that. The language has changed in this regard since I left the country. Let's hope some other people join in to confirm the point.
  13. tottallyoff

Not to dwell on it, but I even heard people say that they 'snorted a burger' - I think a tie to cocaine reference.
  14. sarcie Senior Member

English - Ireland
    I'm not English, but have frequently used this expression, e.g.:

I was so stressed at work, I barely had time to inhale my lunch.

It's meant to be humourous - you take a deep breath and suck all the food into your mouth in one go! :eek:
  15. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Could gulp down work?

16. tottallyoff

I would use that when I am talking about liquid food, like a soup or a pint.
  17. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

I would use "gulp down" strictly with drinks, not any kind of food even though it may be liquid. Let's see what the other natives think.

18. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    I do not hear "inhale" meaning "gobble down" in this part of the UK. Also, it's not quite the same as "gobble down", as it is usually said in a humorous way. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

"To bolt one's food" does, indeed exist. It's a common and longstanding verb.
  19. Trapezium Member

UK, English
    As a native who's just gulped a coffee and wolfed down a doughnut, I can say that I agree,

As for the "inhale" thing: it's certainly intended to be a joke. I remember when I first heard it, in the context of a friend of mine who had apparently inhaled a pizza, I laughed out loud.
  20. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

It's an exaggeration, to be sure, but many phrases are. :)
  21. moo mouse Senior Member

Paris, France
    English UK
    Yes I have heard 'inhale' a few times in this context and thought it was very funny, but it's not exactly a commonly used expression so I would go with 'bolted' or 'wolfed' down.
  22. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    Yes, I would only use "gulp" with drinks, and not even liquid food.
  23. snowalker Senior Member

canada english
    Well, I have seen seals chunking down fish, and husky dogs vacuum everything in sight, and fish devour, and ravens cram their gullets. I don't really like terms associated with wolfing things down because although wolves in fact do gulp down huge amounts of food when they have the opportunity , they almost invariably puke it up later. Another term that can have a similar connotation to wolfing things down is stuffing your face. Scarf is a good word, it seems to imply that the scarfer has other worthy things to get back to.
  24. danoxford Member

English in England

to bolt one's food - less to do with the eating, more about the speed
  25. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Not extremely common and AE only :
    You pound down the stuff like there's no tomorrow

(that's Lambert's prophetical remark to Kane when she sees him bolt down the food like mad, in Alien)
    That phrase was discussed here
  26. Tabac Senior Member

Pacific Northwest (USA)
    U. S. - English
    I'm an American native speaker of English, and I think I hear "inhale" more than any of the others that have been offered [however, my favorite is "scarfed"].
  27. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    Interesting. Not heard much in BE. Not in this area, anyway.

To my mind, "stuffing" one's face (very common in BE) is more to do with the amount being consumed than the speed, although there is an element of speed therein (and I should know!)