Looney / tooney (argent canadien)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Xigua, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Xigua Senior Member

English - British
    Je cherche une bonne traduction pour ces deux mots argotiques, qui ne figurent dans aucun dictionnaire dans ma possession. Je connais qu'on dit parfois «piastre», mais cela n'a pas l'air d'être pareil. De plus, je ne trouve rien en ligne, alors un grand merci à l'avance.
  2. Meille Senior Member

Quebec, Canada
    Pour "Looney" on dit souvent "une piasse ronde".
  3. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Salut, Xigua!

It might help if you explain what this expression means to you (in either language).

Pourriez-vous nous donner plus de contexte?
  4. Meille Senior Member

Quebec, Canada
    :D Being Canadian, it seemed obvious to me!

A Looney is a one dollar coin (because there is a loon on one side) and a Tooney is a two dollar coin (because 'Looney' was well established and well, it just works, you know?)
  5. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I thought it might be something silly, but I forgot about the actual loon. (U.S. money just has eagles, buildings, and famous people's faces, and the newer issues look more like caricatures of the traditional ones.)
  6. Meille Senior Member

Quebec, Canada
    It actually may have started with a notion of silliness because a lot of people thought it was not a good idea to make a one dollar coin. But we're used to it now, and to Toonies too. In fact there's talk of a five dollar coin coming out... You can be pretty broke in Canada and still have a very heavy wallet!
  7. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    Loonie : un huard, et toonie : euh... ben, un deux-dollars (on n'a pas de surnom pour lui).

La pièce d'un dollar canadien porte l'illustration d'un huard sur le revers, d'où son nom. Sur celle de deux dollars figure un ours polaire, mais on ne l'appelle pas un « ours polaire » pour autant.

Il n'y a plus grand-monde (dans mon entourage, en tous cas) qui dit une piasse ronde, parce que tous les dollars en circulation sont des pièces maintenant ; les billets d'un dollar sont devenus des pièces de collection.
  8. unmec Member

English - Australian
    et aussi tooney = TWOney

9. Meille Senior Member

Quebec, Canada
    C'est vrai qu'on n'a pas souvent besoin de préciser. Si on parle du coût de quelque chose, on dit "une piasse" ou "un dollar" mais, par exemple, on dirait: "peux-tu me changer quatre trente sous pour une piasse ronde?"
  10. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    I seem to recall that at the time there were serious suggestions to call the two-dollar coin a nanuq [or nanook] - the inuktitut word for "polar bear". The efforts fizzled, however, rather swiftly in face of the general acceptance of "toonie" (sometimes still spelt "twonie").

The one-dollar coin is now usually spelt "loonie". The name "looney" (in that spelling) was first suggested in a letter to the editor of the Toronto newspaper Globe & Mail, dated January 9, 1987, "prompted not just by the bird on the obverse but also by the bureaucratic bungling loss of a mint master die, which led to its use instead of the original depiction of a voyageur."
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  11. Xigua Senior Member

English - British
    Merci, tout le monde! Je ne savais jamais qu'il y avait toute cette histoire liée aux mots qui décrivent deux pièces de monnaie ... . Où en est-il pour les autres coupures, etc.? p.ex., y a-t-il d'autres mots argotiques pour un billet de 5 $, etc.?