1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

los cordones están atados fuertemente

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Magg, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Magg Senior Member

Spain
    Spain / Spanish
    Hola.

¿Es correcta la expresión?
    Si no, ¿cómo debería expresarlo en inglés?

Gracias

2. javik

javik Junior Member

Spain (Spanish)
    Pero ¿Qué es lo que quieres decir?

3. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    I think what you are trying to say is "tie your/the shoe laces tightly"

4. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    If you bind something what you do is wrap it up. If you have a wound you might bind it tightly with a bandage. It isn't the right word for laces - I'd say tie my shoe laces tightly too.

5. Magg Senior Member

Spain
    Spain / Spanish
    Quiero expresar que los cordones están atados fuertemente, y dudo si tightly es correcto.

Y mi frase original sería esta:

The laces shoes sere so tighly bound that I couldn't untie them.

¿Te ayuda esto un porquito más?

Gracias
    Magg

6. Magg Senior Member

Spain
    Spain / Spanish
    The thing is that my pupil's teacher gave him tie and bind as symonyms. Besides, I've also found this:

From the Diccionario Espasa Concise © 2000 Espasa Calpe:

bind [baɪnd]
    I vtr (ps & pp bound)
    1 (con cuerda, etc) atar: they bound the prisoners hands with rope, ataron las manos de los prisioneros con una cuerda
    2 Med vendar
    3 (un libro) encuadernar
    4 (contrato) obligar

7. LaLoquita Senior Member

Indiana, USA
    American English
    Hola a todos:
    Cuando se habla de los cordones de los zapatos, en inglés decimos "tie." Tie y bind tienen significados aproximados pero no diría que son sinónimos, porque de hecho no se puede intercambiarlos en toda situación, como en el ejemplo que dio Cirrus. Todo depende del contexto.

Y "tightly" si es correcto, Magg. La frase debería ser "tie the [shoe]laces tightly."

Saludos,

8. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    I agree with LaLoquita. Tie and bind have similar meanings but in English you use the verb "tie" for shoe laces ... you never use the verb "bind"

9. aprendoespanol Senior Member

United States, English
    Actually, tightly is the correct form because it is an adverb just like fuertemente.

10. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Tightly isn't the issue, is it not the nub of this thread whether or not you can use bind with shoelaces? I would say not, because to me bind implies it goes all the way round something. If you gag someone, you bind their mouth. You certainly don't tie their mouth.

11. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    True you don't tie a mouth BUT if someone were to put rope around wrists and TIE them together then the verb "tie" and "bind" would both be acceptable and interchangeable in this instance. As I indicated in an earlier post, "tie" and "bind" have similar meanings