loup de mer (poisson)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by scloughley, Feb 5, 2008.

1. scloughley

scloughley Senior Member

near Philadelphia
    Ireland, English
    I read that this is used to desribe Sea Bass, reinforcing their fairly aggressive lifestyle (wolf of the sea). But I also read that this is the word for Sea Perch, and that Sea Bass is actually "Bar".

Any guidance you can suggest? Is there a good reference for the translation of fish commonly offered on menus in France?
  2. Padraig Senior Member

Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    Unless I have been misled by many people, loup de mer is indeed sea bass, as also is bar.
  3. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    It seems that perche de mer is an improper name given to bar in some places, just like sea perch is a name given to sea bass:
  4. scloughley

scloughley Senior Member

near Philadelphia
    Ireland, English

Thanks to you both.
    I would still really like to have a list of the main fishes that one see on menus translated to English (not shellfish - normal "fin" fish that swim).
    It's always quite confusing but easily conquered because I'm sure that 15-20 fish account for 95% of what you see.
    If anyone has any ideas....
  5. samoht21 Junior Member

I'm having a hard time translating this one into French. Sea Bass in English seems to refer to a number of fish: Black Sea Bass (Centropristis striata), White Sea Bass (Cynoscion nobilis), Giant Sea Bass (Stereolepsis gigas), as well as a number of others from an equal number of genera. None of these match the Loup de Mer (Anarhichas lupus) which is generally called Wolffish or seawolf.

Are there any Ichthyologists out there who could illuminate the term?
  6. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    I am pretty certain that bar and loup are both used for seabass. I don't think people usually bother adding "de mer"

By the way un (vieux) loup de mer can also mean an "old seadog" (old fisherman/sailor etc)
  7. samoht21 Junior Member

So, Loup (de mer) is used more generally, not unlike the term for sea bass, which refers to a variety of fish? Thanks Orlando, I appreciate the guidance. I'm still a bit hesitant to use this term confidently, but that's language I guess.
  8. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    That's OK. For what it's worth Wikipedia says that "loup" is what seabass is called in the French Mediterranean, so maybe it's not used much further north. Certainly where I live near Nice you see loup on the menus a lot.
  9. SteveD

SteveD Senior Member

Braine-l'Alleud, Belgium
    British English