Love without limits, Live without regret

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by wheeziecat, Feb 25, 2014.

1. wheeziecat New Member

Michigan, USA
    English - United States
    I am getting a tattoo in honor of my father who is from Poland. I am having difficulty with making sure I am getting a correct translation of several phrases I wish to incorporate in the tattoo design. There are two separate phrases I would like a translation of and I thank anyone in advance who can help me with this. All of my Polish speaking relatives have passed on except for my father and this will be a surprise for him so I don't want to ask him. These are special phrases between him and I and I want him to know how much I treasure what he has taught me.

Love without limits - meaning to love freely and openly without holding back anything

Live without regret
    - meaning to live life without feeling sadness for anything that has happened and having acceptance of all parts of life, good and bad. I believe the phrase Żyj nie żałuj is closest to what I want but am not sure.

Thank you to all who can help!
  2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hello Wheezzie Cat and welcome to the forums. :)
    I hope you find what you're looking for.

My suggestions:
    Love without limits - Kochaj bezgranicznie. (I'm also thinking about using "nieskończenie", meaning "infinitely", instead of "bezgranicznie", the latter being closer to the English version).

Live without regret
    - Żyj i nie żałuj (This is your translation actually. I only added the "i" (and), the whole literally translates into English as "Live and don't regret."). You could also keep your version, but it needs a comma: Żyj, nie żałuj.

You may want to wait for other suggestions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  3. niina Member

I'd say "kochaj bez granic" rather than "kochaj bezgranicznie" and "żyj bez żalu" instead of "żyj i nie żałuj"- I think it sounds better and slightly more natural
  4. NotNow Senior Member

Can the infinitive be used in place of the imperative? Would there be a significant difference in meaning?
  5. BezierCurve Senior Member

The difference would be just as in case of English "Love..." vs. "To love...".