1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Love without limits, Live without regret

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by wheeziecat, Feb 25, 2014.

1. wheeziecat New Member

Michigan, USA
    English - United States
    I am getting a tattoo in honor of my father who is from Poland. I am having difficulty with making sure I am getting a correct translation of several phrases I wish to incorporate in the tattoo design. There are two separate phrases I would like a translation of and I thank anyone in advance who can help me with this. All of my Polish speaking relatives have passed on except for my father and this will be a surprise for him so I don't want to ask him. These are special phrases between him and I and I want him to know how much I treasure what he has taught me.

Love without limits - meaning to love freely and openly without holding back anything

Live without regret
    - meaning to live life without feeling sadness for anything that has happened and having acceptance of all parts of life, good and bad. I believe the phrase Żyj nie żałuj is closest to what I want but am not sure.

Thank you to all who can help!

2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hello Wheezzie Cat and welcome to the forums. :)
    I hope you find what you're looking for.

My suggestions:
    Love without limits - Kochaj bezgranicznie. (I'm also thinking about using "nieskończenie", meaning "infinitely", instead of "bezgranicznie", the latter being closer to the English version).

Live without regret
    - Żyj i nie żałuj (This is your translation actually. I only added the "i" (and), the whole literally translates into English as "Live and don't regret."). You could also keep your version, but it needs a comma: Żyj, nie żałuj.

You may want to wait for other suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  3. niina Junior Member

UK
    polish
    I'd say "kochaj bez granic" rather than "kochaj bezgranicznie" and "żyj bez żalu" instead of "żyj i nie żałuj"- I think it sounds better and slightly more natural

4. NotNow Senior Member

English
    Can the infinitive be used in place of the imperative? Would there be a significant difference in meaning?

5. BezierCurve Senior Member

The difference would be just as in case of English "Love..." vs. "To love...".