love

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by LilianaB, Jan 19, 2012.

1. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I am interested in the word love or to love in various languages, and where this word comes from in your language. Thank you.

2. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Hello, Liliana :)

In Italian:

- to love: amare (from Latin "amàre")
    - love: amore (Latin "amòr-em" from "amare")

3. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Thank you, Anna. It is meile in Lihtuanian or myleti to love. We have been trying to establish the etymology in the etymology forum. It is milosc - love in Polish or kochac, as a verb. It is lubov in Russian or lubit and it is pszanie in Silesia, a Slavic or Polish dialect whtaever one considers it. Pszac to love.

4. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Modern Greek, love is «αγάπη» (a'ɣapi, f.) an ancient feminine word, «ἀγάπη» (ă'gāpē)--> affection, caress. The meaning of love is a later one, after Christian influence (the early Christian charity/love feasts held in remembrance of the Christ's Last Supper, were called «ἀγάπαι», ă'gāpæ, i.e. loves [fem. pl. nominative]). The verb in ancient Greek was «ἀγαπάω/ἀγαπῶ» (ăgā'pāō [uncontracted]/ăgā'pō [contracted])--> to greet with affection, caress, while in the modern language is «αγαπάω/αγαπώ» (aɣa'pao [uncontracted]/aɣa'po [contracted])--> to love (motherly/brotherly love). Its etymology is obscure. Some philologists see a connection with the pre-Classical Doric noun «ἄγα» ('āgă, f.), Aeolic «ἄγη» ('āgē)--> astonishment, high desire; perhaps from PIE base *meg-, great.

5. Fericire

Fericire Senior Member

South America
    Portuguese (Brazil)
    In Portuguese:

- to love: amar (from Latin "amare")
    - love: amor (from Latin "amor")

6. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    In Spanish:

- to love: amar (from Latin "amare")
    - love: amor (from Latin "amor")

7. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Ciao, Francis :)

And how do you say "to love" and "love" in Hungarian? :)

8. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I think szeretem and szeretlek. The first one might be to like, the second one to love. Please correct me. Sz is pronounced as s I think.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  9. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Ciao Anja :)

(I want to look up also for the etymology, but I don't have my dictionary here with me)

Hungarian:

szeretni - to love
    szeretet - love (generally)
    szerelem - love (among persons in love)

10. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Slovak:

milovať - to love
    ľúbiť - to love
    láska - love

(milovať and ľúbiť are synonyms, though milovať is a bit "stronger")

11. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Thank you very much, Francis! :)

May I ask you what "generally" refers to?

szeretni - to love - amare (verb)
    szeretet - love - [l'amare ?]
    szerelem - love - amore (among persons in love)

Grazie mille! :)

12. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Ma figurati :)

szeretet - love - amore, affetto in all senses: among people, people and God, parents and children, etc ...

szerelem - love - amore: among persons that are in love, e.g. Romeo and Juliet

(szerelem normally supposes also the existence of szeretet, of course ...)

13. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Great information, Francis! :) Grazie mille!

14. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    P.S. There are also other terms, of course, e.g.:

Italian: volere bene (to love)
    Spanish: querer (to love, to want)
    Slovak: mať rád (to love, to like)
    Hungarian: kedvelni (to like, to love), imádni (to love, to adore)

(the English translations are only approximative)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  15. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

In Tagalog , love has few forms/words. 1.) Mahal (precious one) 2.) irog(an archaic word meaning dear one) 3.) Sinta (no one else but you) 4.) Pag ibig (common form with root word "Ibig" meaning "want")

16. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

love: láska, from the Slavic verb laskati (Rus. ласкать) = to caress;

to love: milovati (mil-ova-ti), etymology of the root mil- has been already discussed;

The noun milost now means mercy, grace.

17. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch : liefde, love --- but there is a link between vrij, free, and love, as appears from Dutch vrijen, to be together in love, to hug and maybe more.

Some people have suggested a link between amare and ama, soul, but it is supposed to be folk etymology.

I thought I had heard some etymological explanation of Slavic love (mil), but I have not found it here, Bibax.

18. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    Swedish: kärlek - kär = from French cher/Latin carus and lek = an old Swedish word meaning, move, play, jump; quality - a dear quality/play.
    Älska - from an old Scandinavian word that from the beginning meant to breed or nurture, that later have come to mean to love.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  19. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    For etymology of Slavic mil- see "Etymology of root mil- in Slavic and Baltic languages" in Etymology and History of languages Forum (however the etymology is not clear at all).
    Interestingly, Slavic laska (laskati = to caress) and Scandinavian älska look very similar. Similarly like German Arbeit and Slavic robota (with nearly the same meaning).

20. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello Liliana, I must disappoint you. In Hungarian etymology is not as easy as in Romance or Slavic languages...the etymology of the vast majority of Hungarian words is unknown...the Hungarian word szerelem [love] is however a very ancient word, first noticed in 1131. It must be a derivative, relation with the Hungarian word szer, now it means implement mostly with many other meanings...but originally (I haven't known) szer meant federation, union, league...so it might have been related to associate, unite, join...and from this noun the verb szeret [1198] (to love) originated...but briefly I'd say it's all rather a guess...

21. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Turkish: sevgi (love), sev (to love)

It used to be säv, sew.

It's related with other words like sevinç (joy, delight, pleasure, elation).

In my opinion, it's also related with words like saygı (respect, regard, homage), sayga~sawga (commemorate, to make a lasting symbol of something)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  22. englishnoob New Member

Jakarta, Indonesia
    Indonesian
    In the book of Loan Words in Indonesian and Malay word love note as a word derived from Sanskrit. cintā in Sanskrit is a noun that refers to a ' mind '(Pikiran), ' anxiety' (Kecemasan), ' caring' (Kepedulian), ' considerations '(Pertimbangan) will be something/of something.

Similar meanings we can find in (Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia Pusat Bahasa) "The Dictionary of The Language Center of The Indonesian Language". There the word "Cinta" and "Sayang" (Love) is listed as an adjective with the description as follows:

1. love; too lovely: my people – to us all; – to fellow beings;
    2. Kasih sekali (love once/Give once); terpikat (Enamored/attracted/captivated) (antara laki-laki dan perempuan "Between men and women"): sebenarnya dia tidak – kepada lelaki itu, tetapi hanya menginginkan hartanya; (actually he's not – to that men, but only wanted his money);
    3. Eager; hoping all; misses: the more oppressed the more feels how his/her for/will – (The) independence (ingin sekali; berharap sekali; rindu: makin ditindas makin terasa betapa –nya akan kemerdekaan);
    4. k.l susah hati "upset" ("Khawatir" worry); artist profile: No longer unspeakable his/her - abandoned by his/her father (Tiada terperikan lagi –nya ditinggalkan ayahnya itu);
    The Strange KBBI is, the word love is just listed as an adjective.

Besides the fact that etymologically the word love itself actually rank nouns (Nomina), in the use of the word love in daily life is also very often used as an abstract noun ("Nomina" source explain the meaning : http://m.artikata.com/arti-342347-nomina.html).

For example; can we encounter in the sentence "Kuberikan cintaku ini hanya kepadamu seorang." ("I Give my love only into one person or Given love of mine only into one person."), In the phrase of love serves as a noun. Cases of this sort makes me think so: looks like not basing the definition of KBBI dilemma of love on the reality that there is among the speakers. Connection of the expression of love that is owned by Indonesia's language and vocabulary of Sanskrit language also can be traced from the resemblance of the metaphorical phrase derived from the word love in both languages. If the language of Indonesia got the phrase "falls in love" (Jatuh cinta), which marks the State ' sober '-like flavors and, often, ' hopelessly-because-of romance '; There is an expression in Sanskrit cintāpara, which means ' drifting ' in mind. Alternative origins for the word ' love ' performed by another Alif Danya Kadir, Aka Remy Silado, in his book entitled 9 out of 10 said the Indonesian Language Is foreign. In the article titled "Spain left a Rope of love".

It was said that the first modern school use the Malay language and the Latin script began in the eastern part of Indonesia, namely in Ambon in 1563 and then began spreading to Manado. Words of love then emerged as one of the examples of loan words from languages of Spain who has been through the process of acculturation with the local culture so that experiencing a shift in meaning. In Spain the word love means ' Ribbon ', where the Ribbon itself is derived from the Portuguese word ' fita '.

There are two words in Indonesian language of description "love" As "Sayang" and "Cinta".
    (Citation: source link Number 1)
    "The differences Sayang and Cinta are basically very thin and so many people find it difficult to get what exactly is the difference of these two words".

The affection is to always love the feeling of an object, such as loving parents, fellow humans or the environment.

This affection will prevent us to destroy the object in question, we are not likely to destroy or hurt our parents as well as the environment around us.

the love is feeling that can not be expressed in words, but so real.
    So someone who is feeling the love will be able to cry, smile, sad, feeling chaotic or worries.

Love synonymous with the word love or affection for the influence of habit in eastern Indonesia which inaugurated a binding engagement with the 'bond/knot' made of 'love'.
    What is meant by 'love' there is a ribbon made of red cloth which is a symbol of the blood.

The inauguration of this engagement is also called the 'tie of love', and if the engagement is broken it will be called 'broken of love'.

During its development, the second expression is transformed into shorter: bond/knot and out of love.
    So, now we have understood that the knot and dropped in the second expression comes not without reason.

Etymology is the study's guess, said by experts. An expert etymology only able to make a claim that he had found the source or origin that may-be, not sure.

Likewise, clearly not a science-etymological origins guess.
    Guess who made an emphatic no basis or evidence is strong and can be checked.

In etymology, we treat the word as a living thing, which had a way of life.

Translation of the origin of the word "Love" ("Sayang", "Cinta") that made then could be considered as a story, or biography, of the word.

Hopefully, by knowing the way of life, we become able to use the word love with love.

PS: Forgive me if I have "a"/"doing something" wrong onto some of my translation in English, because I am still a beginner/newbie learner in English language. :)

Best regards,
    Englishnoob

Citation or sources:
    1. http://www.internet.web.id/2013/03/perbedaan-sayang-dan-cinta.html?
    2. http://bahasa.kemdiknas.go.id/kbbiindex.php
    http://m.artikata.com/arti-342347-nomina.html

23. Lulley New Member

Somali
    Jaceel or jacayl in somali