1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Zanahoria Senior Member

Danish
    Hola!

Es verdad que se diga ella es una médico? Refiriéndose a una mujer médica/médico... Ay, qué lío.

Gracias!

2. elirlandes

elirlandes Senior Member

Dublin & Málaga
    Ireland English
    "Médico" is the word for doctor in general - the "o" at the end does not reflect the sex of the doctor.

3. shaadie Junior Member

León, Spain
    Spanish (spain)
    Ocurre lo mismo con otras profesiones: arquitecto, aparejador... En español ya se pueden usar ambas maneras. Puedes decir:

Ella es médica
    y también
    Ella es médico

Puedes consultarlo en la RAE: http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=medico

Son profesiones asociadas al género masculino (antes la mujer no trabajaba) y ahora que se plantea este dilema, se puede feminizar el término o bien dejarlo al uso tradicional.

4. elirlandes

elirlandes Senior Member

Dublin & Málaga
    Ireland English
    It is fair to say that the neologistic use of hyper-correction for the feminisation of occupation names is the source of some controversy in Spain at the moment, and it is not universally accepted.

5. Zanahoria Senior Member

Danish
    Muchas gracias a los dos!
    Ahora lo tengo más claro

6. shaadie Junior Member

León, Spain
    Spanish (spain)

It is accepted since it appears in the Real Academy... I don' say that controversy doesn't exist in Spain in many fields related to feminism (most of them rather stupid, may I say), but I think that these words which refers to these kind of jobs typically ejerced by men in the past, have created nowadays not controversy but confusion; for instance, in my case, I'm an architect, and for me it sounds really weird saying "Soy arquitecto", although it is correct. Most of us women would say "Soy arquitecta" and it's not a feminist thing.

That's my opinion ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010