1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Música movida y bailable.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by yercygo, Mar 28, 2006.

1. yercygo Senior Member

Soy peruano, hablo español. I teach English.
    Please, could you help me translate: Música movida y bailable?

Like in...
    Me gusta la salsa porque es música movida y bailable.

Thank you.

2. Residente Calle 13 Senior Member

New York City
    My try :

I like salsa because it's lively dance music.

En inglés américano tenemos la expresión "dance music" que describe el tipo de música que se baile.

3. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hola Yercygo.

Me gusta la salsa porque es música movida y bailable = I like salsa because it's lively, danceable music... I like salsa because it's lively music you can dance to

Saludos,
    LN

4. yercygo Senior Member

Soy peruano, hablo español. I teach English.
    Thank you!!! and...

I like salsa because it's dance music...

Is it ok?

5. Residente Calle 13 Senior Member

New York City
    Personally, I like Laura's options better; they're more descriptive.

6. Gizmo77

Gizmo77 Senior Member

Asturias
    Spain - Spanish
    But... couldn't "dance music" be misunderstood? I mean is a music style, or at least I've heard: techno, dance, disco.... music

7. Residente Calle 13 Senior Member

New York City
    Yes it could. In any case, in English, writing teachers generally advise that you liven up your prose and put verbs into action. That's another reason why Laura's suggestions are better, in my opinion, than the one I suggested. In her phrases, dance is a verb and not an adjective like in mine.

It's livelier her way! I don't know if one could dance to them. We'd have to ask Laura to sing them for us.:D

8. Gizmo77

Gizmo77 Senior Member

Asturias
    Spain - Spanish
    "I like salsa because it's lively dance music."

Could be understood as "Me gusta la salsa porque es un tipo de música dance muy vivo/acelerado (more than usual dance style)

9. Residente Calle 13 Senior Member

New York City
    I don't know. Everybody I know, knows what salsa is.

10. Gizmo77

Gizmo77 Senior Member

Asturias
    Spain - Spanish
    Well, perhaps if someone used the word "son"(from "sonido-sound") instead of "salsa" (sauce), it will be more difficult to distinguish.

11. Residente Calle 13 Senior Member

New York City
    Again, these are words that virtually everybody in my community knows. Once you say the words "son", "salsa", "merengue" or any of those genres without explaining them you are assuming the speaker knows what you are talking about. At that point, you are just saying why you like salsa; not what salsa is.

I like salsa because of its lyrical content and detailed story telling.

In that sentence, I assume that you know what salsa is. I'm just telling you which aspect of it I like.

12. Gizmo77

Gizmo77 Senior Member

Asturias
    Spain - Spanish
    Yes, sorry I didn't meant splitting hairs :S, just wanted to help.

13. Residente Calle 13 Senior Member

New York City
    No worries. "Dance music" alone IS, like you suggest, associated with a different genre, at least here in the US. But I think to say "salsa is dance music" is okay.