1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ma chi sono io!

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Hakkar, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Hakkar Senior Member

The Boot
    Italian
    Ciao a tutti.

Secondo voi come si potrebbe tradurre l'iteriezione Ma chi sono! Ma chi sono! Quando una persona è felice di aver raggiunto qualcosa e si è su di giri?

Qualcosa tipo come I'm a fucking:warn: beast! ? secondo voi? Grazie in anticipo

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
  3. Hakkar Senior Member

The Boot
    Italian
    Non esiste un contesto perchè è un espressione di gioia, ho spiegato nel primo post in quali circostanze si dice. Un espressione di gioia quando si raggiunge qualcosa che non si crede possibile, ed è molto colloquiale.

Per la frase di esempio può essere : Ma chi sono ce l'ho fatta! Ma chi sono io Ma chi sono!

4. amatriciana Senior Member

Venezia
    English - UK and US
    "Who's the man!"

5. Hakkar Senior Member

The Boot
    Italian
    Thank you, good translation. Do you think there are any other possible equivalents?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. amatriciana Senior Member

Venezia
    English - UK and US
    You really need to give more context. Slang is very context-dependent.

Who is it?
    A chest-thumping twenty-something-year-old male? "I'm a motherf*-ing beast!"
    A teenage girl? (In this case, I confess I don't know.)
    A Jersey girl now in her mid-thirties? "I rock!"
    Where is it?
    Is it at a wild and raucous party where everyone is between the ages of 17 and 21? Is it at your grandmother's house?
    What did the person just do/accomplish?
    Get into Harvard? Win a poker tournament? Graduate? Run a marathon?

7. I agree that the question is severely lacking context, but could "look at me!" or "look at me, men!" be general, spontaneous expressions that could be used in the OP case?

8. AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    I doubt that a single translation would apply across the board. What seems like a statement that can apply to many situations in one language may translate many different ways because in the other language it is context dependent.

Examples:
    I'm the king of the world.
    Who's the man? (Oops. Already posted in #4.)
    Lance Armstrong, eat your heart out!
    Tiger Woods, move over, there's a new guy in town!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  9. theartichoke Senior Member

English -- Canada
    Couldn't agree more about need for context, but for some reason, all I could think of was an expression that really grates on me: "who's your daddy?":D Which turns out to be covered with just this meaning in this thread here: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=295809

10. AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    Just to follow that, "Who's your Daddy?" is obviously non-standard and may not necessarily be understood by everyone. Choose your audience for phrases like this. These phrases generally work on the younger crowd who more into movies and Top 40 radio.

11. amatriciana Senior Member

Venezia
    English - UK and US
    For instance, not many women would say "Who's your Daddy?" ...