1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

MA, first class honors

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by peruviangirl, Jun 12, 2005.

1. peruviangirl Senior Member

Castellano
    Hi again...
    Please, help me with these phrases:

MA = Master of Arts
    Does it mean "Licenciado en Filosofía y Artes"

And what about "first class honors", does it refer to a special honor?

This is the sentence/context:

He obtained a Mater of Arts degree with first class honors in English from Victoria University, in Wellington, New Zealand.

Thanks in advance...

Diana

2. El Hondureño Senior Member

New York, NY
    USA;English,Spanish,Brazilian Portuguese
    así lo que significa, "first class honor" en este caso significa graduar con honor superior, lo mejor honor/it means someone graduated at the top of their class

i hope you understand

3. charmedboi82 Senior Member

USA, English
    Yes, for most countries I'd say that "MA" equals "licenciado". There's also the term 'maestria'. It usually equates to 6-7 years in college (generally 4 full-time years for the BA and then 2-3 more for an MA).

Master of Arts doesn't necessarily mean that he focused in literature and the arts, so to speak. It's the general term that is applied to the degrees. Uusally there is a bit after it: MA in Psychology/Forensics/etc. I guess since there is nothing that follows in your example, they didn't want to specify or your guess was right, :).

4. peruviangirl Senior Member

Castellano
    He obtained a MA with first class honors in English from Victoria University, in Wellington, New Zealand.

Hi charmedboi82... he's a MA with first class honors in English.... so in this case, the translation could be like that:

Él se gradùó con honores y obtuvó su licenciatura en Inglés...

What do you think?... I'll appreciate your help...

Regards, Diana :)

5. El Hondureño Senior Member

New York, NY
    USA;English,Spanish,Brazilian Portuguese
    sí, exactamente!

6. peruviangirl Senior Member

Castellano
    Thank you very much, Hondureño... You were really helpful...
    Regards
    Diana

7. charmedboi82 Senior Member

USA, English
    Yeah, it's good. I first thought that the 'in English' referred to what language he did the program in. Hmm, I guess it must refer to the language specifically instead of literature or the like. Thanks for point that out to me!

8. Asmodeo

Asmodeo Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    First class honours es la distinción más alta en las licenciaturas en el Reino Unido. En castellano se diría Summa cum laude.

Obtuvo una licenciatura Summa cum laude en inglés por la Universidad Victoria, en Wellington, Nueva Zelanda.

Estas son las distinciones británicas. También existen las latinas, que se emplean en EEUU, en el mundo hispánico, y en otros muchos lugares del mundo.

9. PamelaPT Senior Member

Chile
    Chile/Spanish
    y como drirían ???

first-class bachelor's degree in computational science