1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Macedonian: I used to...

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by cr00mz, Aug 29, 2013.

1. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Hello

How do you say this phrase in Macedonian, "I used to..."

For example:

"I used to eat butter, but I do not anymore"
    "I used to sleep late, but then I got a job"

I think that you can use порано, it's not a direct translation but it has somewhat the same meaning, before or earlier

"Earlier/Before, I ate butter, but I do not anymore"

Thanks for your help.

2. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Sure, порано + imperfect: порано јадев кикиритки, но (сега) повеќе не (јадам кикиритки). The parts in brackets are optional; i.e. for emphasis.

Sometimes you can say it without the adverb because the imperfect tense already refers to a repeated past event.

Another option is некогаш which refers to something at an unspecified time, but usually something in the distant past, and also has a slightly different meaning: и јас некогаш бев млад ('I too was once young').

You can use преѓе, неодамна, предмалку or the phrase сега бргу (and others) + aorist to specify that the event occurred recently and not in the distant past: преѓе го видов ('I saw him/it earlier [in the day]'), неодамна бев на одмор ('I was recently on vacation'), тој предмалку ми рече дека... ('a moment ago he told me that...), сега бргу купив нова кола ('I have just recently bought a new car'), etc.

3. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Many thanks for you help Iobyo, I have some follow up questions for you.

What is the difference between бргу and брзо or брз?

I have also heard a phrase; "сега само шо дојде", which I think means just now, or perhaps recently? Is it similar to your сега бргу phrase?

4. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Брзо and бргу are both adverbs; the former refers to the pace or speed (fast) at which an action takes place (тој брзо помина на следното прашање, 'he quickly moved on to the next question') while the latter refers to time elapsed (зимата бргу помина). So the difference is tiny and usually overlaps, and a lot of people use them interchangeably as with most nearly homophonous adverbs.

Брз is an adjective meaning 'fast, rapid', and брзо is derived from it (like adv. добро 'well' from adj. добар 'good').

Right. Само што means 'just then, just now'; i.e. very near to or at the same time of the sentence being said. However, it's more commonly used in constructions like само што ја стави главата на перницата, веднаш зарка ('just as he placed his head on the pillow, he immediately began to snore'). Само што can also be used in other ways; for example, страв ми е само што ги гледам ('I get scared just by looking at them') or не само што ќе си поминеш убаво, туку и евтино ('you won't just have a good trip, but also an affordable one'). Сега бргу doesn't necessarily have the same connotations, but can refer to something that happened in the not-too-distant past; for example, сега бргу купив нова кола might even have happened two or three months ago.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Does the meaning of this sentence change страв ми е само што ги гледам change if you replace што with да or if you just remove самo?