Macedonian: Remember

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by cr00mz, Oct 23, 2012.

1. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Hello

I need some help with the word remember in Macedonian. I know of се сеќава and текнува, but I have also read about паметува. What is the difference between them?

2. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Текне/текнува is when you recall something when it isn't "on the tip of your tongue"; you bring something back into your mind for the moment, especially so as to recount it.
    Ми текна! ('It's come back to me!', 'it has occurred to me now')​
    Ми текнува! ('It's coming back to me!')​
    Не ти текнува ли? ('Is it not coming to mind?', 'can you not recall it?')​

(Се) сети/(се) сеќава is non-specific, it simply means to recall from memory:
    Се сетив! ('I've remembered!')​
    Не се сеќаваш ли? ('Do you not remember?', 'can you not recall?')​
    Се сеќаваш ли на вечерта кога првпат се запознавме? ('Do you remember the night we first met?')​

Памети/паметува means to commit something to your memory, to never forget it.
    Ќе ја паметам (неа) засекогаш ('I will remember her forever')

3. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Текне/текнува means to come up with or to be occurred to.

a. Се сети (definite) means to recall (instantly) something you have previously forgotten about and/or been reminded of.
    b. Се сеќава (indefinite) means to recall (indefinitely).
    So basically:
    Штотуку се сетив = I just recalled = I just remembered
    Како што се сеќавам... = As I recall... = As I remember...

a. Памети/помни (indefinite) means to have something memorized, which basically makes it the same as to recall (indefinitely).
    се сеќава = памети/помни
    b. Запамети/запомни (definite) means to memorize. While the indefinite forms of памети/помни and се сеќава have the same meaning, that is not the case with their definite forms запамети/запомни and се сети.
    се сети ≠ запамети/запомни

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    How would you say "I remember you" / "Do you remember me?"

"се сеќавам тебе" and "дали се сеќаваш мене"?

5. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    I remember you (sg.) = Се сеќавам на тебе.
    I remember you (pl.) = Се сеќавам на вас.
    I remember You (sg. & pl.) = Се сеќавам на Вас.
    Do you (sg.) remember me? = Се сеќаваш ли на мене?
    Do you (pl.) remember me? = Се сеќавате ли на мене?

6. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Two more questions,

на тебе, на мене etc. can be shortened to ти, and ми yes?

So can you say ти се сеќавам = i remember you?

Also perhaps a dumb questions but why is it на мене and not just мене?

7. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    A third questions

I have also heard се сеќам, instead of се сеќавам does that have to do with standard vs non-standard?

8. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Yeah, "сеќам" is non-standard.

No, but you can say "те паметам".

"Се сеќава на" literally means to "recall of": Се сеќавам на тебе = I recall of you
    It should probably be "за" (се сеќавам за тебе), but it isn't - probably an influence from Serbian language. So it's not the same "на" as in Ти зборувам на тебе = I'm talking to you, "на" can have a bunch of different roles.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    I doubt it has anything to do with Serbian influence.

When we say "I remember you" we're sort of saying "I am reminding myself of you". Се сеќавам therefore requires the genitive ("of you") which doesn't exist in Macedonian, so it's expressed periphrastically by на + accusative: се сеќавам на тебе/него/неа/нас/вас/нив. With nouns, of course, there's no issue: се сеќавам на човекот/жената/детето.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  10. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    This genitive type of thing, is that something you learn, like some method. Or do you have to remember some by heart?

For example to resemble someone is личи на, does that also have something to do with genitive?

11. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    I used those terms in a diachronic sense because I'm not familiar with the correct grammatical terminology. Maybe someone else can help me out here.

I can't think of a method for figuring out what type of object they take, but it might be an idea to think of them as phrasal verbs:

• Се сеќава на x (to 'remember x')
      • Се сеќавам на тебе ('I remember you', lit. 'I remember myself of you')

• Се плаши од x (to be 'afraid of x', 'scared of x')
      • Се плашам од змии ('I am afraid of snakes')

• Се плаши за x (to 'fear for x')
      • Се плашам за својот живот ('I fear for my life')

• Што се однесува до x ('as far as x is concerned')
      • Што се однесува до мене... ('as far as I am concerned...')
      • Што се однесува до нив, нема друг избор ('as far as they are concerned, there is no other choice')

• Се занимава со x(to be 'occupied with x', to be 'involved in x', to 'work in the field of x')

In a diachronic sense, it would have been accusative (direct object). Личи на may also be thought of as a phrasal verb.

12. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Thanks for explaining a bit.

The four last ones are similar in Swedish, but the first one, the "remember" one is very different, from both English and Swedish. I know it's not very smart to compare languages like this, specially languages that are from different families.