1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Macedonian: si

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by cr00mz, Apr 17, 2013.

1. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Hello

Can someone tell me what is the meaning of the word si (not -you- are), but zemi si, si jade, si dojde I think the word comes up several times during a sentence and seems to be included in every sentence. I understand kupi si, which we have in swedish and in English too, buy myself/yourself etc. But I do not understand the other meanings.

Thanks in advance

2. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    In your first example земи си пиво would be "get yourself some beer" whereas земи пиво would be "get some beer". In the other examples, си is mostly emphatic; it's like saying, "he's having himself some lunch". Such constructions are quite common in some English dialects. In Macedonian, it is more or less the same only without the regional coloring. In any case, I'll send you a few excerpts from a grammar book in a private message.

3. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Hey, thanks for your reply iobyo those excerpt would be nice, also does this си go with every verb or are there some rules to how it is used?

4. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    It can. This pronoun (the reflexive pronoun) is себесе, себеси.

Accusative personal pronouns

Тој/таа се виде ('He/she saw himself/herself');
    Тој/таа ме виде
    ('He/she saw me');
    Тој/таа те виде
    ('He/she saw you');
    Тој/таа го виде
    ('He/she saw him/it')
    Тој/таа ја виде
    ('He/she saw her'), and so on.

Dative personal pronouns

Тој/таа си дава пари ('He/she gives himself/herself money');
    Тој/таа ми дава пари
    ('He/she gives me money');
    Тој/таа ти дава пари
    ('He/she gives you money');
    Тој/таа му дава пари
    ('He/she gives him/it money');
    Тој/таа ѝ дава пари
    ('He/she gives her money'), and so on.

In emphatic sentences, the full form (себе/мене/тебе/etc.) can be placed on either side of the sentence's phrase:

тој себе се виде = тој се виде себе;
    тој себе си дава пари = тој си дава пари себе.

There's another full form of the reflexive personal pronoun, себеси, which is just a synonymous variant (себе = себеси, себеси = себе).

As for си + verb, there are two types. The first type is those like земи си пиво. The second type is verbs that always have си, such as си отиде (pf.) and си оди (impf.) which means 'to leave', and си легне (pf.) and си легнува (impf.) which means 'to go to bed'. Semi-literate people often spell the latter type of verb as one word (Google has a few hits for сјоди/сјој, сјотиде/сјојде, сјотиден/сјојден, etc.).

Here are the excerpts I promised which more-or-less just describe what I've said in greater detail. They are from the most recent edition of Граматика на македонскиот јазик by Blaže Koneski which is the most extensive descriptive grammar of Macedonian. I translated the excerpts hastily, so let me know if something doesn't make sense.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Hello again iobyo, thanks for those excerpts very informative.

I have a question about "si odi." What is the difference between "si odam doma" and "odam doma"? Is "si odi" a fixed phrase meaning "to leave"