Macedonian: Thanks

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by cr00mz, Nov 14, 2013.

1. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Hey

I know that Thanks is фала, but if you want to use a verb like "I am thanking you for your help", do you just conjugate фала according to person (singular plural etc.) јас фалам, ти фалаш etc.

Thanks in Advance

2. lavverats Junior Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    I don't think фала/хвала is a verb. It is а noun, IMHO. So, it shouldn't be conjugated as the verb благодарам.

3. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    As lavverats mentioned, фала isn't a verb, but I'd disagree and say it's an interjection.

But, yeah, you can use благодари: [Ви] благодарам за Вашата помош/помошта ('I thank you/I am thanking you for your help/for the help') or, if you want to be a little more casual, you can either use T-forms or фала: фала [ти] за твојата помош/помошта.

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    There's a similar debate in BCS as well; I also disagree with the noun theory, but I'm in the 'particle' camp: are there similar constructs in Macedonian as hvala lepo or hvala mnogo? (Some BCS, particularly Croatian, grammars, insist on hvala lijepa, which is consistent with the noun theory, but I find that use archaic/regional; yes, centuries ago hvala was a noun 'praise', but nowadays it's a particle or interjection; nobody declines it anymore).

In BCS, there's verb zahvaliti (pf.)/zahvaljivati (impf.), with obvious etymology. But I like the sound of благодарам. :)

5. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    I see what you mean. Yes, there's also фала многу.

How common is blagodariti in the BCS area? Apparently it's a calque of the Gr. εὐχαριστέω.

6. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    As a 'thank you' expression, it is archaic; something uttered by (wannabe) high-class people from Nušić's dramas, predating WW2. Other than that, adverbial blagodareći is a rare and stylish synonym for zahvaljujući; usage of the verb proper is very rare.

7. lavverats Junior Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Хвала тебе, Господи!
    Слава тебе, Господи!
    What should be different between these two words?:confused:
    IMO both are nouns. Anyway, I might be mistaken.:)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  8. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Compare:
    Zdravo tebi, Lavverats!
    Zbogom tebi, Lavverats!

Surely, zdravo and zbogom are particles or interjections; you cannot test a word's type in this position in the sentence.

However, nouns do not interact with adverbs (фала многу, hvala lepo). In BCS at least, they are declinable, and this one is not.

To make myself clear: there is a homonymous noun hvala 'praise' (Imam samo reči hvale), but the one which acquired 'thanks' meaning acquired a life of a particle or interjection, like da, ne, zdravo or zbogom.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    What do you mean with "use T-forms", I do not think I am familiar with this expression, or perhaps I know this under a different name.

Thank you for your help.

10. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    The T–V distinction.

Because фала is used in more casual and informal situations or where there's a greater degree of solidarity between speakers, one wouldn't use it with V-pronouns unless addressing more than one person in such a situation.

11. cr00mz Senior Member

Swedish
    Thanks for the help, I suspected that you were talking about the T-V distinction but you only mentioned "T" so I was not really certain.