Machines/Machine calibration (calibración de máquinas)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by alaitz_82, Jan 24, 2013.

1. alaitz_82 Banned

It could be a silly question but I wonder if it must be and adjetive (singular noun) + a noun or two nouns

"Machines calibration" (noun + noun)

"Machine calibration" (adjetive + noun)
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    As a general term, "machine calibration". If several specific machines are intended, you would say "calibration of the machines". (In your question, what you refer to as an adjective (singular noun) is called a "noun adjunct" or "attributive noun".)
  3. alaitz_82 Banned

Interesting!!! I didn't know the terms "noun adjunt" or "attribute nouns"

For a title in a document I could say "calibration of documents"? Without "the".
  4. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    Yes (but "calibration of machines", not documents).
  5. alaitz_82 Banned

Haha, sorry ... yes "machines" ;-)
  6. alaitz_82 Banned

Hello! I still have a couple of doubts at this respect, since I've read some sentences on the internet which, were like "a plural noun" + "a singular noun"... I couldn't copy them, sorry but here I have an example:

"Unificación de las plantas (factories) de Madrid Y Barcelona"
    "Madrid and Barcelona plants unification" ???

Since the point of view, we know there are two plants because they are two cities, shouldn't I be able to use "plants unification" or it must be singular?

In "plant unification", "plant" works as an attibutive noun or noun adjunt, isn't it? and if it is. it must work as an adjetive and be singular?
  7. alaitz_82 Banned

Ok I found a word "goods", when using this word in the plural, it means "bienes, productos, artículos, mercancías", in the singular it has a very different meanning ("bien, bueno")... so

what about if I want to say "verificación de bienes" (if I'm checking a purchase order, for instance) I can't say "good verification" because it would mean "buena verificación", something that has nothing to do with it... given this, could I say "Goods verification"? Or only can say "Verification of goods".

Thank you so much for helping me! ;)
  8. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    I would stay with "plant" (singular), but I might be tempted to try "plant unifications". If the plants were closing instead of unifying, that's how we would say it.
  9. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    And "goods" is plural. The goods are coming tomorrow.
  10. alaitz_82 Banned

Thank you Donbeto, so sometimes I can use the previous word to and adjetive in the plural, it mustn't be always in the singular, I think it must depend on the context... and sometimes both options are correct. Right?
  11. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    Regarding the plants in Madrid and Barcelona, "unificación de las plantas de Madrid y Barcelona", the direct translation, of course, is "unification of the plants in Madrid and Barcelona", or following the form given by alaitz (#6), another suggestion is "Madrid and Barcelona plants' unification", using the genitive plural.
  12. alaitz_82 Banned

I see it!!!!! Thank you so much, what it fails in my translation is the genitive plural!!!
  13. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    There's always something new to ask about the apostrophe-s possessive.
    "Unification of plants (factories?)" is an unfamiliar concept to me. Would that be like a merger of factories?
    For the sake of argument, let me suggest this:
    • The more unusual or unfamiliar the concept, the more reason to spell it out with "[noun A] of [noun B]".
    • The more familiar or customary the concept, the more you are justified to say "[noun B] [noun A]".
    In my mind, it is not unusual to renovate a factory; so I can justify "factory renovation".
    But I'm not sure what's involved in merging factories; so I would prefer to read "merger of factories", rather than "factory merger".

Eventually a speaker of British English may join this thread and tell you that the U.K. government has a "drugs policy"
    (while the U.S. government has a "drug policy"—although it deals with many drugs).
  14. alaitz_82 Banned

Don't you like the words "plant" and "unification" ? For instance, the same company has two plants or factories in diferent places and they decided two just leave one, that's what I understand by "unification".

Maybe it is just a too direct translation from Sanish into English...

Thank you for your opinion, I really appreciate it.
  15. alaitz_82 Banned

Ok, I'm bringing another example:

a) evaluation of suppliers (noun+noun)
    b) supplier evaluation (nound adjunt or attributive noun + noun)
    c) suppliers' evaluation (genitive plural)

Do the three mean exactly the same? I have doubts whether the option b is right or not... Thanks a lot for helping me to understand this.
  16. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    They don't mean the same thing; in the first two the suppliers are being evaluated, but in the third the suppliers are evaluating something. Regarding a and b, the first makes clear that there is more than one supplier, whereas the second can refer to one or more.
  17. alaitz_82 Banned

Thank you so much!!! Good and clear explanation, now I don't have any doubts about it ;)
  18. alaitz_82 Banned

Last question, case b could never be plural, could it? Thank you.
  19. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    Yes, it is not specific as to number.
  20. alaitz_82 Banned

Thank you!!!! ;) now it's all clear.