1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. WARNING: The forums will close for maintenance for around 20 minutes starting at 9:30am US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 3:30pm in most of Europe).

machines that have an acceptable calibration result

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by alaitz_82, Jan 24, 2013.

1. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    Maybe a silly question...

"máquinas cuyo resultado de calibración ha sido aceptable."

"machines that have acceptable calibration results."

If I would say "machines that have an acceptable calibration result." would it seem like if I were speaking about the same result for all the machines??? or that each machine has its own result.

THANKS!

2. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Logically there is no difference. "Acceptable" is presumably precisely defined. Even if the different machines had different numerical results, they are all the same in terms of "acceptability".

Or haven't I understood the question?

3. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    I wonder that either I use plural or singular I make reference to different results fot each machine or if I use the singular I seem to make referece to a single result for all the machines. Thanks you.

4. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    'Machines that have an acceptable calibration result' or 'machines that have acceptable calibration results' are both fine and indicate that each individual machine in question has an acceptable value - even if the value is different for different machines.

Cheers.

5. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    Thnak you, very clear explanation! ;-)