Made me

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by MissChris, Dec 3, 2012.

1. MissChris Junior Member

Hey everyone, I have a romantic one for you today. It's meant to be quite poetic so if there aren't any direct translations, that's quite alright.

You gave me love and it changed me. You changed my life. You made me better, you made me stronger, you made me feel. For the first time in my life, I am happy and I owe it all to you. I know I could spend every day for the rest of my life trying to repay you for all that you've given me and I'd never even get close. But I'd like to try.

I don't have a good grasp of how to make this. I would assume I could use Заставить for "You made me better, you made me stronger, you made me feel". And of course, Впервые в жизни я счастлива.

In this, "you made me feel" is quite vague. Like not a specific feeling but being able to feel anything as opposed to being empty. And "repay you" isn't meant like it's owed but more like you're trying to show them everything they gave you.

Thanks everyone!
  2. Maroseika Moderator

Заставить cannot be used with changing the quality of smb.: made me stronger, better - just сделал меня...
    But with feeling it can be used - заставил меня чувствовать - if only this is really what you mean. Maybe better translation would be научил меня...

For "repay you" you should open another thread.
  3. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Yes, I agree with Maroseika -- it will not sound very nice in Russian if you translate it using "the make somebody something construction", or rather something similar to it in Russian. I will have to be totally rephrased -- each phrase translated as a separate construction in Russian, to make it sound poetic.
  4. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Another alternatives are: с тобой я стал(а) +comparative adjective [сильнее etc…] or с тобой я научился(ась) + verb [быть сильным(ой) etc...]. The second one works better if you want to introduce the verb "to feel".
  5. Ukrainito

Ukrainito Senior Member

Crimea, Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian
    You made me better, (ты сделал меня лучше)
    you made me stronger, (ты сделал меня сильнее)
    you made me feel (ты пробудил мои чувства)