madia

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by courgettelawn, May 25, 2006.

1. courgettelawn Junior Member

English, England
    I am using a Latin-Italian glossary to help me translate some documents for my research. However I am unsure about what the Italian explanation is. The explanation of the word (which is fazzatoria) is that it is for 'madia' (per madia). I know that the Latin word means 'bandages' or 'binding' but I'm not sure what the editor means by saying it is 'per madia'. Any ideas?

2. Alberto77 Senior Member

Italy
    As far as I know the "madia" is an old kind of forniture to make and keep bread, but I've never heard "fazzatoria"
    ciao
    alb

3. Golondrina Junior Member

Tuscany
    Italy
    Hi..I've just found there is a dialectal word (maybe from Abruzzo, an italian region, but I'm not so sure) that is "fazzatora" that means "madia" (kneading trough or kitchen cupoard)

hope it helps :)

4. courgettelawn Junior Member

English, England
    Vi ringrazio tante, tante! This now makes more sense. I am now trying to envisage what such a thing would look like!

5. courgettelawn Junior Member

English, England
    Just occured to me - the medieval Latin word fazziatora is related to fasciare (Lat. to bind up) and also the Latin fascia for bandages. But I was dwelling too much on thinking it must be related to the noun. The 'tora' suffix should have given it away earlier as applied to a noun describing its own function - sort of a verbal nound - if that makes sense - so 'a thing that binds / for binding' and therefore a kneading trough would make perfect sense, and make sense of the 19th century Italian glossary I am working with that equated to 'madia' as described above (this is indeed heavy going!).

Thank you again. I just thought I'd post my conclusions in the distant chance that someone else might come across this!

6. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Courgettelawn, you may find this link interesting.
    Link
    Link

7. courgettelawn Junior Member

English, England
    Thanks for that. Very interesting indeed.

8. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    You're welcome.

9. Ireeeneee Junior Member

Italian
    Sorry for starting again this topic, but how would you translate the world MADIA in english?

10. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
  11. Ireeeneee Junior Member

Italian
    thank you!

12. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Sì, ma una madia (parlo di quella tradizionale, non quella moderna, che non è altro che una credenza, a mio avviso), oltre ad essere un mobile dove si impasta il pane è anche il posto dove tenere il pane: kneading trough/dough tray non rende quest'idea.;)

It's a kneading trough and a sideboard (credenza) all in one, but I really can't think of a word in English for it.;)

13. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Ciao a tutti :)

Secondo me la "madia", oggi, come dice London, praticamente in disuso, era quella specie di cassapanca presente nelle case di campagna, nelle cascine di una volta, in cui si conservava la farina per fare il pane (o la polenta ... in base all'area geografica :D)