1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Madrid Polytechnic University / Polytechnic University of Madrid

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Gustavoang, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Gustavoang Senior Member

Venezuela / Castilian
  2. elpoderoso

elpoderoso Senior Member

English
    Madrid Polytechnic (sin University) suena mejor en Inglés, o mas mejor me parece ''Madrid Poly''

3. Gustavoang Senior Member

Venezuela / Castilian
    Thanks, elpoderoso!

By the way, you should say "mejor" only, without "más". "Más mejor" is wrong (like "more good" - better). :)

Cheers!

4. Dudu678

Dudu678 Senior Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    But if you were to put that on a resumé, what would you use?

Madrid Polytechnic ?

He estado buscando en Google, y para este caso concreto, lo más común es Polytechnic University of Madrid con casi 40 veces más resultados que Madrid Polytechnic University.

5. elpoderoso

elpoderoso Senior Member

English
    Gustavo asked which do native speakers find most natural, and I replied with my opinions. However if he had stated a context, like you have mentioned above, I would go for either ''Madrid Polytechnic University'' or ''Polytechnic University of Madrid'' but not Madrid Polytechnic

Ps Thanks for the correction Guastavo:thumbsup:
    PPs Dudu I would not use a google search myself to gauge the opinions of native speakers.:D

6. Dudu678

Dudu678 Senior Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    Sure, but Gustavo asked:

Saying Madrid Polytechnic sounds natural and nice, same as "la Politécnica de Madrid". What I mean is that, even if context is always necessary, the way he said it in Spanish made it pretty clear he wanted to be formal.

Oh and, I'm the first who dislikes Google searches, but they say whether something is common or not, which was what I tried to learn. Thanks for your comment though.

7. hfpardue

hfpardue Senior Member

Santiago de Chile
    United States - English
    Por estos lados, diríamos The Polytechnic University of Madrid para estar claro, ya que no hay mucha gente por aquí que conozca esa universidad. Ese nombre sería correcto para un curriculum también. Si estuvieras hablando de la universidad con amigos que sí conocen la universidad, sería normal decir Madrid Polytechnic, the Polytechnic University, the Polytechnic school, the Polytechnic college o algo así. Yo asisto a North Carolina State University, pero nunca diría North Carolina State University a no ser que estuviera hablando con algún extranjero. Con amigos por aquí, diría "I go to State." y si ellos son de otro estado, diría "I go to N.C. State."

8. elpoderoso

elpoderoso Senior Member

English
    Yes I see your point but I was using Madrid as the name of the city for gustavo's examples in blue. I agree with what you say about the phrasing he used in Spanish,but my answer was concerned solely with which sounds most natural to an English speaker, and so maybe I should have made it clearer I was referring to this.
    Gracias E.P