Maestra (abreviatura)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by dfirley, Aug 1, 2009.

1. dfirley Senior Member

English - US
    I know that teacher in Spanish is maestra. My question is - when you are addressing a teacher in spanish is it Maestra Smith? If that name were to be written on a class list - would you write at the top Mtra. Smith or Sra. Smith?

Thanks.

2. Mitza21 Senior Member

United States
    Spanish

Espero que te sirva.

3. vikiriki Senior Member

spain, spanish
    I haven't seen abbreviations in Spanish for 'maestro'. For 'profesor' yes: Prof., (independently of 'profesor' or 'profesora').

suerte

4. Mitza21 Senior Member

United States
    Spanish
    Yes I agree, we really don't use too much "mstro" which would be the abbreviation for maestro.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  5. andylopez

andylopez Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish - Castellano
    Someone disagrees with that statement ... please look here:

Profesor = Prof.

Profesora = Profra.

6. Jeza New Member

Spanish-English
    Well, we don't use "Profra" for "Profesora", even if that's OK. We only use "Prof." for "profesor" or "profesora" Prof. Smith. Another thing, normally we don't say "maestra", we only say "profesora". That's more used. :rolleyes:

7. Mitza21 Senior Member

United States
    Spanish
    I don't know where do you live or where you are from Jeza, but in Mexico we use maestra a lot, and we abbreviate "profra" for profesora and for profesor "profr" it might not be correct, but it is usual in Mexico.

8. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hello.

The abbreviations for profesor and profesora are:
    From the DPD (see abreviatura, apéndice 2).

Maestro and maestra are not usually abbreviated. Anyway, I'd use: Mtro. and Mtra.

Saludos.

9. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    Hi Dfirley. I think your original question was about how to address a teacher, including their name, and the corresponding abbreviation.

Well, at the state schools my children have been to in Spain, it's like this. The men are addressed as Don Emilio - D. Emilio López on a list. Women at secondary school are Doña Eva - D.a Eva Pérez and at primary school, Señorita Eva (though the children call them "Seño"). However, when there is familiarity they often just use their first name.

10. la bec

la bec Junior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    English - U.S.
    I've also seen Sra. for Mrs. and Srta. for Ms.

11. Jeza New Member

Spanish-English
    You're right, in Mexico is very common to heard maestra, I've seen that in the TV. Well, I'm from Perú and my answer is based in what is usually used here. :)