1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

magic marker / white board marker

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Aishana, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Aishana Senior Member

USA
    US English
    How would you translate "magic marker," which is a permanent marker and "white board maker," which is an erasable marker?

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    White board marker = Dry erase marker

Magic marker is a brand of permanent marker -> several translations for "permanent marker" are suggested in this thread: Use a permanent water-based felt tip marker only

Hope it helps! :)

PS. I found those threads by looking up marker in the forum dictionary and then scrolling to the bottom of the entry where there is a list of threads containing the search word in the title. ;)

3. Aishana Senior Member

USA
    US English
    Thanks, Jann!

I thought that I had exhausted the forum threads on "markers" before I posted my question. Thank you for the redirect.

4. Aishana Senior Member

USA
    US English
    I'm wondering, since I am talking to my three-year-old daughter, is there another, less complex/wordy option for "marker" than, "un feutre permanent à base d'eau"?

5. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Un feutre permanent à base d'eau is a "water-based permanent marker." As in English you can just leave out the "water-based" part and have un feutre permanent = a permanent marker. :p

And if you just want to talk about a "marker" without specifying what kind, you can call it un feutre.... (By the way, this word refers to the felt-like material that the marking tip is made of... just the way we also call markers in English "felt-tip pens").

6. Aishana Senior Member

USA
    US English
    Just what I was looking for. Appreciate the background knowledge.