1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

major component

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by hiamsilvia, Apr 10, 2007.

1. hiamsilvia Junior Member

London, UK
    italiano
    Ciao a tutti,

Devo tradurre in Italiano la locuzione MAJOR COMPONENT all'interno della seguente frase:

Either nominated by relatives in Australia as a major component, or as assisted migrants, a notable number of migrants left Italy for Australia.

Major component vuol dire capofamiglia?

Grazie, ciao, Silvia

2. Jenikd43 Senior Member

New York
    Czech Republic, American English
    I think they're trying to say that the majority of immigrants to Australia from Italy are influenced by family who have already situated themselves in Australia

I would translate it as "Maggior Parte"

excuse my Italian but here is my try at an interperatation of the first part of the phrase
    "La maggior parte degli immigranti che immigrano dall’Italia all’Australia sono influenzati dalle loro famiglie (Che vivono all’Australia)..."

3. hiamsilvia Junior Member

London, UK
    italiano
    Grazie mille!!!
    Ciao, Silvia

4. stezza Banned

english italian
    The passage seems to indicate that the majority of Italian migrants were nominated by family members already in Australia and were thus eligible for 'family reunion' status. Assisted migrants were those who came to Australia under the terms of her International obligations and had their passages paid for them by the Government. Quite often these assisted migrants were destined to do the jobs that nobody here wanted to do.

5. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    I share your confusion, Silvia. The phrase "a major component" is almost always followed by "of something" or "in doing something" to explain what the component pertains to. I find its use in the sentence above awkward and am not at all sure what it's supposed to mean here.

Elisabetta

6. hiamsilvia Junior Member

London, UK
    italiano
    Grazie per le precisazioni.

Dunque forse il significato di questa frase

"Either nominated by relatives in Australia as a major component, or as assisted migrants, a notable number of migrants left Italy for Australia"

è che con "major component" si intende chi raggiunse i parenti già emigrati in Australia, forse "la maggior parte" (della famiglia, sottinteso?)

Comunque a quanto ho capito è una frase un po' "awkward", strana o problematica, a detta degli stessi nativi, perfino degli stessi Australiani :) quindi non mi pongo, in definitiva, più di tanti problemi per non esser riuscita a tradurla!!
    mille grazie
    Silvia