1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

make an effort / put forth effort

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by chicalita, May 31, 2005.

1. chicalita

chicalita Senior Member

English
    do you use poner or hacer, and do you use an article?

eg:
    ponga ( una / la ) esfuerza / haga (una / la ) esfuerza

or is the phrase completely different?

2. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español
    Without CONTEXT, which "make an effort" would you like? A sentence always helps.

To make an effort, as in to work hard, exert energy: i.e., "When she goes running, she really makes an effort."

To make an effort as in to exert strength or force. "The little boy had to exert effort to move the couch."

To make and effort, as in to make an honest try, make an attempt: "If you don't make an effort, you'll never know if you could have succeeded."

To make an effort, as in to pull oneself together, to able to move: "You passed out. Can you make an effort?"

The general is esforzarse to make en effort. There are other ways, depending on the context, that don't use esforzar.

3. manana Senior Member

Chile - Español
    Usamos "hacer un esfuerzo para conseguir tal o cual cosa u objetivo", pero también puedes decir "haga el esfuerzo para conseguir tal o cual cosa u objetivo".

Generalmente usamos los artículos un o el indistintamente.

"hagamos el último esfuerzo" "hagamos un último esfuerzo"

Saludos,

4. chicalita

chicalita Senior Member

English

thank you!

5. Bry Junior Member

US English
    This question is similar to the one that started this thread, so I figured I'd stick it in here.

The sentence looks bad in English, but hey, I'm just the translator.

"XX and YY intend to use their best efforts to facilitate smooth transition of ZZ employees to their respective companies"

XX and YY are related corporate entities which are buying company ZZ.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English

I'd just say, ''...intend to try their best to facilitate..'' , but the way you have it seems okay to me.

7. Bry Junior Member

US English
    Thanks for the response Edwin, but I think my message wasn't clear (sorry, I'm new here...).

I wasn't asking for a correction of the English, rather, I was looking for a good way to translate it into Spanish, specifically the phrase "use their best efforts to facilitate smooth transition". I actually have two questions here, the first being a translation of "use their best effort" (which was my reason for sticking it in this thread) but also for "smooth transition", and I would still appreciate anyone's thoughts on both questions.

The comment about just being the translater was meant in the sense that it's not my sentence in English, but I do have to translate it. Sorry for the confusion.

8. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    Since you have already been given above a translation for ''make their best effort to'', I suggest opening a new thread titled ''to facilitate a smooth transition" and include a complete sentence containing this phrase. I could guess at it, but a translation from a native speaker would be best.

9. Bry Junior Member

US English
    Thanks again, Edwin, but...

I see no translation above for something like "X intends to make their best effort to" facilitate...

I'm guessing it's something like "X tiene la intención de hacer su mejor esfuerzo para facilitar..." but I'm not sure that would be correct primarily because of the difference between "hacer un esfuerzo" y "hacer su esfuerzo". I'm not sure the second is acceptable.

And I had already opened a thread for "smooth transition", but as yet have received no answer.