make ready

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by tkekte, Jan 11, 2008.

1. tkekte Senior Member

Russian/Israel
    I heard the expression "はやくよいして" in anime, as in "get those things ready". I wonder what are other commonly said phrases, to prepare something (not tsukuru/make, but to get it ready to work), to get ready (for whatever), etc. Thanks. :)

2. sakurasaku Junior Member

The phrase you heard must be

はやく よういして (get ready quickly)

Another expression that comes to mind is a similar verb "じゅんびする(準備する)”. It means to prepare (for something), and can be used interchangeably with "よういする”.

3. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    There are a few more idiomatic expressions. If you could not find them in dictionaries, they are secondary usages for entry words.

そろえる — the primary meaning being "to line something up" or "coordinate"
    This is "to prepare" with focus on bringing all things necessary for a certain activity.
    材料をそろえられず、製作が三日もおくれた。
    Because they could not prepare [all necessary] items, production was delayed for three days.

ととのえる — the primary meaning being "to organise" or "to arrange"
    The focus is on maintaining objects already in one's command. If used in sense of acquiring indispensable items (e.g., 材料をそろえる), this "prepare" belongs to a formal, slightly old, register.
    An example for the former sense is;
    息をととのえて、開始を待った。
    I calmed my breath while waiting for the start.

仕度: This is a noun for "preparation" in somewhat specific context.
    Off the top of my head, 仕度 makes best collocation with cocking and clothing.
    食事の仕度 — preparing a meal
    学校に行く仕度 — preparation for school; this involves packing one's bag with books, assignments and dressing oneself in school uniform (clothing in a larger sense, I think)
    The verb form is 支度する.

4. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    A Japanese equivalent for "get oneself ready for X" is X-ni sonaeru.