Make through / Make it through

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Antonio, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Antonio Senior Member

Hi Group,

What does it mean make through and make it through? I heard that phrase in a song that goes like "Will make it through and bla bla bla"

Thanks in advance,
  2. David Senior Member

Make it through...Persevere, survive a difficulty. He had a hard time financially when he was in college, but thanks to his scholarship, his part time job as a Guaraní-Amharic translator, and a few dollars his grandmother gave him, he made it through.
  3. jacinta Senior Member

USA English
    I have never heard "make through" used before. "Make it through" is a common phrase in songs about love..."Help me make it through the night" in other words: "help me survive the night without you".
    Someone trying to quit smoking will say,"I don't know if I can make it through the day without a cigarette".
  4. agliagli Senior Member

Would you please add some more examples, please? I am still not very sure about its use. AS jacinta pointed it, you can say "make it through + Noun."

But can I say "I'll make it through my English examination tomorrow," or is it not really idiomatic to say it likewise?
  5. Thomsen Senior Member

Washington, D.C.
    English USA
    Yeah, it could only come up as a random placement of different words in a sentence, i.e. "They earn what they make through illicit means."
    "Make through" doesn't any meaning of its own.
  6. shoobydoowap Senior Member

USA, English
    "I'll make it through my English examination tomorrow" would be perfect, especially if you wanted to emphasize that it will be very difficult but that you will survive.
  7. ARGMAN Senior Member

Make it means to achieve something
    Through means all the way, or to the end.