1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Making a promise: finger

Discussion in 'English Only' started by felixwong33, Feb 15, 2010.

1. felixwong33 Junior Member

Chinese
    do anyone know any expression in English to say when two fingers (esp. the little finger) hook with each other meaning making a promise for something.

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Pinky swear?

From Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinky_swear

Prior to this, I didn't know that this was common outside of the U.S.

3. felixwong33 Junior Member

Chinese
    Thanks so much. You are informative.
    It would be great if some buddies could let me know if such expression will be used outside US? E.g in UK.

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I haven't heard "pinky swear". But that's not surprising, for two reasons:

(1) we don't generally use the term "pinky" for the little finger in BrE

(2) to the best of my knowledge, BrE-speakers don't link little fingers when we make a promise except when we are making up with someone after a quarrel - in which case we link little fingers and say "make friends, make friends, never never break friends." I say "we" - it's been a long while since I did that:D

5. Jam on toast

Jam on toast Senior Member

UK
    British English
    I'm not aware of any two finger promises, but I do recall when I was a boy scout we made a salute with three fingers (with the smallest finger held down by the thumb) as we recited our "boy scout promise" each week.

Hi Loob, I am an exception to that rule if that is true. My littlest fingers will always be my pinkies :D.

Oh, and I confirm that my partner also used to to that "make friends.." rhyme, holding pinkies with someone :).