1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

makkolni

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by NagyKiss, May 26, 2013.

1. NagyKiss Senior Member

makkolni, makker
    What does this word mean, and what are its origins?
    Unfortunately I cannot give you any exact quotes, but I can provide a general context.

In computer games, when someone is winning not because he is skilled, but due to dumb luck, he is called "makker" or he is "makkol(ni)".

2. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Dumb luck is also called "mák" in Hungarian slang... Mákod van = you are lucky
    So I think that could be the origin...but I do not know anything about computer games...so let's wait for professionals...

3. NagyKiss Senior Member

Though I don't remember seeing it written with "á", I guess "mák" is the origin.

4. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    I've never heard any of these, it might be a new trend among teenager gamers?

5. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Although Encolpius's suggestion is at least close (in form) and logical, I don't think "mák" is related to this "makker"/"makkol".

The only meaning I know for makkol is to feed on fallen acorn in a forest - which doesn't seem to have much to do with the context given but at least the one language dictionary knows it...

P.S. I tried typing in makker szerencsés into Google, and got quite a lot of results (nothing about the origins, though, apart from that it seems to be in English!). One is here. (It seems to be connected to a game called Counter Strike.)

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. NagyKiss Senior Member

Wow, somebody actually got together a Hungarian's gaming dictionary! It is indeed in the game of Counter-Strike that I first saw this expression.

7. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I don't think you would see it elsewhere.:) It is too context specific in this use, apparently.

8. Akitlosz Senior Member

Hungary
    Hungarian
    Makkolni means: to feed the pigs with acorns.

What do you think is: Mákolni.

Makk = acorn
    Mák = poppy

Mákos = poppyseed / lucky

Mákolni in the computer games = to be lucky