Maku salam wala kalam ilyoom shenu &Lek shuuuuuuuu ktraaaain

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by SisterInIslam, Jan 12, 2013.

1. SisterInIslam New Member

english
    Hi,

What does that mean?They're two separate phrases, I get the meaning of a few words in the first phrase but it's so incohesive ..

Maku-no idea
    salam-peace
    wala- does not mean "and no"?
    kalam-word?pen?
    shenu -what

and the second part lek shu ktrain?What does that mean? Ive come across that twice, and both times it was written as shuuuu ktraaaain(eg.elongated) How do you pronounce that?

Thanks in advance.

2. SisterInIslam New Member

english
    *It's in Iraqi dialect by the way*

3. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    I don't usually understand Iraqi but this is what I deduce:

Maku-there is no
    salam-peace
    wala-nor
    kalam-talk
    ilyoom-today

shenu -what
    (the rest I don't understand)

4. SisterInIslam New Member

english
    Thank you I think what you said actually makes sense in the context of the conversation.[eg. "We didn't talk today"]
    As for the word "wala," is it a combination "wa" and "la" as in "and" and "no" or is wala a word on its own?

Also, slightly off this topic, but since you mention you don't usually understand Iraqi and your Egyptian(I think)can you tell me how different the Egyptian dialect is from the Iraqi? [Eg. how difficult to interchange between the two dialects?)

5. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Ah, in this case, they're asking (you didn't even call to say hello and I haven't heard from you).
    There are threads on mutual intelligibility of dialects - if there is a bit of exposure then we can understand basic sentences (though not complex sentences) - but if there is no exposure, then people from dialects that different wouldn't understand much of each other - even if you knew the word, the accent would throw you off.

6. SisterInIslam New Member

english
    Subhan'Allah, I did not realize that while the dialects are definitely fascinating..they can be really complex.
    Thank you so much for your help.