Malandro- Negative or positive?

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Sorte, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Sorte New Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Hi!

I wonder is someone could explain the meaning of the word "malandro". Is it a negative or positive description of somebody? I would also like to know whether "malandro" can only be used for describing a male.

Thanks in advance!

2. Minimagpro Junior Member

Cádiz España
    English
    The word comes from the word malandragem.

The way we use it is we say <malandro> for a guy who is kind of a thug or a beach bum. We use it talking about a guy living the lifestyle of malandragem.

Someone can give you a better explanation, I dont know the exact meaning in english

3. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Sorte's question is well-put. The concept of malandro is not as simplistic as "thug". It's a complex mix of the negative with the positive. A clever swindler, perhaps. Do you know that film with Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster called Maverick? I think that's more or less it. ;)

4. Sorte New Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    The explanation "clever swindler" clarifies a lot. Obrigada!

5. kurumin

kurumin Senior Member

salvador bahia brasil, brazilian portuguese & tupy
    malandro is masculine,
    malandra is feminine ;)

6. Sorte New Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Thanks! But is it common to describe a woman as a "malandra"? I think somebody has said that it is solely a desciption of a man...?

7. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    We use malandra for women too, mainly malandrinha that gives it an affectionate meaning. Being malandrinha implies a desirable quality for a woman. But a malandra or malandro can have positive and negative way, it dependes of the intention of the user. Here a discussion related to this term.

8. spielenschach Senior Member

Portugal . Portuguese
    Olá

That story of malandrinha it’s, I think a ‘Brazilian’ story, as in Portugal we haven’t. We say also ‘malandro’ (positive or negative?) with the meaning of a lover of flirt, not exactly a D. Juan, but he likes to conquer the girls one by one …and these are always desiring for the flirt.

9. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Reviving an old thread here. Can someone explain "malandro" in this song?

10. Fer BA

Fer BA Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano de Buenos Aires
    Sorte:

If you can get and listen Opera do malandro (Chico Buarque) or read Dona Flor es seus dois maridos (paying attention to the character of Vadinho) you will grasp much better the meaning of the term. I'm not sure that clever swindler (at least in the meaning that's common in the States -closer to a charming con artist-) is exactly the same.

11. Nonstar

Nonstar Senior Member

the outskirts of inner pantyhoses
    In-love-with-the-coming-race Portuguese
    Also, there is even this gentleman, Sérgio Mallandro, the malandro par excellence.

12. Ariel Knightly

Ariel Knightly Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Well, at least in my dialect, malandro usually has a negative connotation. When it's a noun, it describes a (cleverly) dishonest man who is always involved in illegal activities. This use is normally restricted to men. Mind you, I'm not saying malandra and malandrinha are impossible, but these sound rather exotic to my ears.

Malandro can also be an adjective. In this case, it means the same as cunning, which isn't necessarily negative.

13. Carfer

Carfer Senior Member

Paris, France
    Portuguese - Portugal
    Guess that song is Brazilian, so perhaps it's not appropriate to recall Outsider's post #2 about the meaning of 'malandro' in Portugal. It can have the same negative connotation that Ariel mentions above, but the usual meaning is 'clever swindler', may apply to females and besides it can also be quite affectionate, especially if you use it referring to children or young people.

14. Mike Valente New Member

Durham City, UK
    English
    Hi
    Just to throw in my little bit of knowlege

Malandro is sometimes used in Italian meaning meaning lively, high spirited, exuberant.... but more commonly used is vivace.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  15. 4TranslatingEnglish Senior Member

Portugal, Lisbon
    Good old fashion Portuguese
    And to add to all that was said, malandro, at least in Portugal, can also mean "naughty". Conversa malandra can be naughty talking, yes, as in sexual innuendo.
    Malandrice can be what Brazilians call sacanagem. So beware when you use it. ;)

Eu própria, ao puxar o assunto, estou a ser malandra. :)

16. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Specific uses in Rio:

Lazy: "Esse João é um malandro, nem quer saber de arrumar um emprego."
    Cunning/Clever: "Mas é claro que ele não acreditou na história que você contou. Ele é malandro."
    Thuggish: "Filha minha não sai com um malandro daqueles!"

All of those come from the image associated with the original "malandro": a clever, cunning, slightly ill-principled, self-reliant petty-criminal, sometimes a pimp, sometimes a fencer, sometimes a smuggler.

17. Guigo

Guigo Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Português (Brasil)
    Moreira da Silva (1902-2000), o rei dos malandros, teria dito:

"Se malandro soubesse como é bom estar do lado da lei, ficava do lado da lei só de malandragem."

Eu penso que a palavra malandro, no Brasil, tem atualmente uma conotação mais para positiva; com sentido de esperto, vivaz, matreiro. A conotação negativa recai sobre a palavra pilantra.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  18. TexasLifter New Member

English
    I'm quite familiar with the various uses of this term 'malandro' and its variations (such as malandrasso, for a big time malandro). If you've taken the time to read the different answers, you start to get an idea of its meaning. Of course it has different connotations depending on region. Here in Tijuana, being far from Portugal and close to the U.S., it's usually negative. I often tell the locals here that they don't discern between malandro and 'rata' or 'ratero.' Rata means a thief (as opposed to.a snitch in Mexico). Think of the malandro as a Robinhood who forgets the part of giving to the poor. They use their cunning, people skills, and often are very likable. They do not victimize friends and try to keep it as non-personal as possible. They're more apt to take a whole rack of clothes from a corporate place like a Macy's, but will not steal a stick of gum from a mom & pops place. The Portuguese have folk songs about malandros because they often take from the larger legal thieves like their governments or tax agencies.

19. inmigracionFL New Member

Spanish - Latin America
    I know this is a Portuguese thread, but in Venezuela a "malandro" is definitely a criminal. My clients say it all the time when referring to why they left their country.