Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by rockjon, Aug 3, 2010.

1. rockjon Senior Member

What's the translation of maligalig in English? My aunt was speaking to me in Tagalog and she used this word. After looking at results from google searches, it seems like it means magulo or makulit but I am not sure. Thanks in advance.
  2. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    Maligalig = annoying, bothersome or troublesome
  3. Alakdan New Member

Maligalig is also used to describe a person who is fickle minded. Or someone who starts multiple taks but is unable to finish any.
  4. rockjon Senior Member

Thanks, DotterKat. Does the meaning or the usage of maligalig differ from nakakainis, malaking abala, or magulo?
  5. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    Let's say you have a little brother who keeps taking stuff from your room without your permission. You might tell him:
    Nakakainis ka! Parati mong ginagalaw ang mga gamit ko!
    You're so annoying / You're so irritating / You're such a pest! You keep taking my stuff!

Now let's say that same little brother is someone you have to drive around to school, soccer practice and judo class, to the detriment of your own social life. You might say:
    Napakalaki mong abala! Wala na kong oras para sa mga kaibigan ko, parati na lang akong tsuper para sa 'yo!
    You are such a big bother / You are such a burden! I never have time to go out with my friends because I'm always driving you around!

Then, let's say this same little brother gets a little "hyper" whenever he eats too much sugary junk food and starts running circles around the house and climbing the walls.
    You might say:
    Masayado kang magulo! Tignan mo nga ang mga kinalat mo sa bahay!
    You're so wild / rowdy / You're such a terror! Look at all the mess you made!

All of the above usages point to someone being annoying, bothersome and troublesome. You could use those English words in the translation of any of the above sentences, but each Tagalog word is a bit more descriptive in that they give you a sense of how the other person is annoying, bothersome or troublesome.
    Maligalig on the other hand is a bit different in that : 1)It is not as commonly used as nakakainis, malaking abala, or magulo in the sense that it sounds a bit more "formal" (think of troublesome vs. vexatious, rowdy vs. raucous, annoying vs. exasperating)
    2)Unlike the other Tagalog words you mentioned, maligalig can be used not only to refer to another person being annoying, bothersome or troublesome, but also to the person being thus affected. It is in this case that Alakdan is correct, maligalig can refer to the person who is being troubled, bothered or burdened to the point that he or she is unable to finish a task, come to a decision and thus outwardly have the semblance of being fickle minded.

Finally, you would not use maligalig in the context of the Tagalog sentences I gave above. However, the mother of the two boys might be inclined to say to the older brother:
    Huwag kang masyadong maligalig. Mula ng mawala si papa, ikaw na lang ang inaasahan ko. Pagpasensiyahan mo na lang ang kapatid mo dahil bata pa siya. Alam mo ba, wala kayong pinagkaiba sa kaguluhan noong bata ka pa!
    Dont' be so bothered / troubled / annoyed. Since your father died, you are the only one I can depend on. Be patient with your brother as he is still so young. You know, you were just as annoying as he is when you were younger!
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. rockjon Senior Member

wow, thanks for the explanation DotterKat. it's very in-depth. the vast majority of people here in metro-manila can't explain it like that to me.

oh, for masyadong kang magulo, could I replace the magulo with malikot or that wouldn't capture the meaning that it's messy in that particular sentence?
  7. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    They are not exactly interchangeable. Think of malikot as fidgety and magulo as rowdy or disorderly.

Let's say you are trying to strap your naughty little brother into his car seat, but he is reluctant to stay still. You might say:
    Don't be so fidgety!
    Huwag kang masyadong malikot!

Now, let's say he wriggled and fidgeted his way out of his car seat and is now creating havoc in the backseat by throwing his toys around and making a general mess with his snacks and juice box. You might scream:
    Stop making a mess back there!
    Huwag kang masyadong magulo, peste kang bata ka! :)

You see the difference?

(An idiomatic application of malikot would be "malikot ang kamay" meaning a person who has a tendency to steal things. The English translation "fidgety hands" does not have the same meaning. The latter simply refers to restless hands, sometimes related to nervousness but not necessarily linked to thieving tendencies.)
  8. autumnsoliloquy New Member

Hmm.. I may be wrong but since I've only ever heard my mother call me 'maligalig' in the Phils, doesn't 'maligalig' have only one clear definition? 'Whiny' or 'querulous'

full of complaints; complaining.

"wag kang maligalig" - stop whining/complaining

I'm not sure how accurate this is because I haven't really encountered the word ever used in this context.
  9. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    I don't think so. Being querulous or being full of complaints could be a manifestation of a troubled mind, just as appearing to be fickle minded can be the result of the same.
    Even a cursory glance on the web or newspapers show maligalig being used in the essential sense that I have described, that is, the quality of being bothersome/troublesome or being bothered/troubled.
    A brief search yielded these phrases: maligalig ang mundo, maligalig ang aking PC, maligalig ang isipan, maligalig ang klase, etc.
    I would grant you though that maligalig is one those words that are commonly misused, even by native speakers of Tagalog.
  10. Pinoy Tsinoy New Member

Maligalig is from "ligalig" or "worry", so it means "worrier" or full of worries. It may also mean "anxious".
  11. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

maligalig is troublemaker.