Mamá está arriba, abajo = up / down

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by TryingToLearnAndTeach, Nov 10, 2009.

1. TryingToLearnAndTeach New Member

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    My English is somewhat limited but I am still trying to teach my children a little bit of what I know.

A few days ago one of them asked me a simple question 'Where is my mother?' but I was not sure how to answer correctly. It happens that we live in a two-story house; we were in the lower floor and her mother was in the upper floor.

In Spanish, to answer that question (¿Donde está mi mamá?) we say 'Está arriba/abajo' but answering in English 'she is up' or 'she is down' sounds strange to me.

My question is, What is the correct way to say that someone is in an other floor when a house or building has more than one floor? Could you tell me both expressions (for upper and lower levels), please?.

Thank you very much in advanced.
  2. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member

English, USA
    Hello. I would say the simplest answer to the question is: She is upstairs/downstairs.
  3. Javito_g3

Javito_g3 Senior Member

Hi TryingToLearnAndTeach

I agree with kayokid

She's on the second floor, could it be too.

Regards. :D
  4. vcostandy Senior Member

American English
    Algunas pequeñas correciones :)
  5. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I also agree with upstairs/downstairs, but will add that "She is up/down" is incorrect (cannot be used), and that upstairs/downstairs is usually only used in houses of about two stories, whereas "She is on the n-th floor" is usually used in buildings of multiple floors, such as office buildings.
  6. TryingToLearnAndTeach New Member

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    Thank you ALL for your answers and corrections. It was really helpful.