1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

mamaya na - rhyme

Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by bbcjraj, Feb 28, 2008.

1. bbcjraj Junior Member

USA - English
    Hi,
    I would like to be able to add a "see you later" in tagalog to several quotes that my family uses to say goodbyes.

Later, gator
    After a while, crocodile
    Luego, Diego
    Manana, iguana

is there any kind of animal, preferably a reptile that would rhyme with mamaya na? Or maybe mamaya na isn't the best way to say it - or is there a word meaning "see you" that would rhyme more easily with an animal name.

Thanks for your help.
    Becky

2. SavvyFilipino

SavvyFilipino New Member

Philippines
    "Filipino" "English"
    See you later would be "Hanggang sa muli". To associate it with an animal, I thought of "Bubuli" which, if I'm right, is a salamander.

Hanggang sa muli, bubuli.

Although this is the first time I've heard of this combination.

3. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

"Sa muli nating pagkikita" is another form for "see you later" . It is not normal to use this expression in animals so it is better to retain the form " Sa muling pagkikita"( o pagtatagpo o tagpuan).

4. latchiloya Junior Member

Filipino
    "hanggang sa muli" is preferable and would sound nice to a reptile which is common like "butiki" which is a "lizard"

the consonants that precedes the last vowel "i" does not matter at all, but that the glottal stop of the vowel makes it rhyme better.^^

on the other hand, you may say "mamaya na", "balyena" though "whales" had never been a reptile.