mamienka, mamasha - pronunciation in Spanish

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by bacchebenevenies, Aug 31, 2014.

1. bacchebenevenies

bacchebenevenies Senior Member

Argentina
    Español (Argentina)
    Hello
    I wanted to know if this russian terms (translated into Spanish) must be pronounced with the indicated accent (tilde). There are two words:
    -Mámienka
    -Mamasha

In Spanish, does the pronunciation respect those accent ("mám"...)? I do not know wheter the translated terms have their accents as if they were spanish words or not.

Thank you

2. Drink Senior Member

New England
    English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    Yes, those words are spelled according to the Spanish rules for the accent, giving the same accent as the Russian pronunciation.

3. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    No the stress is on different syllables:
    mа́mienka
    mamа́sha

(if I understood your question correctly...)

4. Drink Senior Member

New England
    English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    In Spanish, mamásha is the default stress, so it doesn't need an accent mark.

5. bacchebenevenies

bacchebenevenies Senior Member

Argentina
    Español (Argentina)
    Yes, that what I meant. Thank you!
    And the last case: why, for example, do we say Nabókov when his surname is Nabokov (its pronunciation would be, in Spanish, Nabokóv)?
    Thank you again.

6. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In the Russian surname Nabokov the stress falls on the first "o". I think you are mixing up the stress (how you pronounce words) and the accent (how you spell words), that makes your questions confusing.

7. Nanon

Nanon Senior Member

Entre Paris et Lisbonne
    français (France)
    I may be mistaken, but ES Nabokov without stress mark (it should have been Nabókov) might come from English, in which he also wrote and from which he was translated. Other family names (just to quote a few writers) have stress marks whenever needed in accordance with Spanish rules: Chéjov, Turguénev...