1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

man the flying saucers

Discussion in 'English Only' started by dvd11, Jun 12, 2010.

1. dvd11 New Member

hebrew
    Hi

I am trying to translate a story by Joyce Carol Oats, titled "Where are you going, where have you been?". In it, a creepy fellow has these words, "MAN THE FLYING SAUCERS" written on his car, and the protagonist, his victim, marks "It was an expression kids had used the year before but didn't use this anymore. It is supposed to be the 60's. Does anyone know what is supposed to be the meaning of this expression?

thanks

2. MrMoto Senior Member

Ottawa, Ontario
    Canada, English
    I've never heard the phrase in question; it sounds like a science-fiction-inspired catchphrase that might not be intended to mean anything in particular.

As for the grammatical structure, "man" is a verb here, meaning to get the flying saucers ready by putting men in them.

3. dvd11 New Member

hebrew
    thanks.
    I guess it is an old and local expression, and not very familiar.
    Reading man as a verb is an interesting idea I haven't thought of. It gives me new ideas as to the contexts in which this phrase could be used.

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Yes, "man" is a verb, in the imperative.

He is telling people to get into the flying saucers and prepare to fly them. The reference seems to be to a wish to escape from this planet and find or create a better world elsewhere.

In the 60's many people were critical of society, and had ideas about how society could be better organized. Some people tried to put these ideas into practice in one way or another.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  5. dvd11 New Member

hebrew
    thank you very much Cagey. So it's a kind of slogan. it's all starting to make sense.

6. mannymissy New Member

ENGLISH
    [h=2]And the "Man the flying saucers" is a saying that means something is foreign or crazy it also spells out hesatanlucifer with an extra letter or 2 leftover[/h]