1. A S Laplace Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    ARgentina / Spanish
    Hi everybody,
    'Mandato familiar' is what your parents/ grandparents expect of you, sth you have to 'obey' if you don't want to disappoint them, for example get a university degree/ marry and start a family by a certain age, etc.
    Does anybody have the term / expression for this ?
    Thx in advance

2. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    An "unwritten rule"

There is no actual expression for it in English, other than to say "it's expected of me" / "I'm expected to..."

3. A S Laplace Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    ARgentina / Spanish
    Thank you, Aurilla

4. kotosquito Senior Member

Champaign, Illinois, USA
    United States, English
    Another possibility: "The family expectation is that I get a university degree/start a family/etc." "My family espects me to...." is perhaps more common and colloquial.

"Unwritten rules" tend to be about specific modes of conduct in a narrower focus: "There was an unwritten rule that no one would talk about crazy Aunt Irene."

5. A S Laplace Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    ARgentina / Spanish
    Yes, like an 'unspoken rule', but 'mandato' is much stronger; it's a psychological term, I think.

6. kotosquito Senior Member

Champaign, Illinois, USA
    United States, English
    ...then perhaps "expectation" is too soft a word?--"The family rule is that everyone go to college"?--made stronger by capitalization--Family Rule

7. kotosquito Senior Member

Champaign, Illinois, USA
    United States, English
    ...not sure what you mean by "psychological term", in this case

8. aldonzalorenzo

aldonzalorenzo Senior Member

Español
    Este concepto es para mí desconocido. Mandato familiar lo entiendo como un mandato familiar :): algo directo.

Debe ser un concepto de Psicología.

9. kotosquito Senior Member

Champaign, Illinois, USA
    United States, English
    --in this case? Perhaps a family expectation or rule that his been psychologically adopted and internalized so as to feel like a personal belief, affecting the believer accordingly...

10. aldonzalorenzo

aldonzalorenzo Senior Member

Español
    :thumbsup:
    I think it's just PERFECT!:D

11. Mexico RV'er Senior Member

Mexico
    English - USA
    "Family expectation" hits the nail on the head, in my opinion. We also say things like, "In my family it is taken for granted that . . .," "There is no question that/ it is assumed that . . . ."