mangiare l’asfalto

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by curiosone, Apr 25, 2013.

1. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    Mi collego a questo vecchio thread perché sto cercando di tradurre la frase "mangiare l'asfalto". Il contesto è questo:
    "Ogni destinazione viene programmata nella stagione più giusta affinché possiate viaggiare nelle migliori condizioni climatiche. Per noi non conta solo mangiare l’asfalto."

My (free) translation attempt:
    Each destination is scheduled for the best season, so you may travel in the most ideal weather conditions. It isn’t only important to us to “hit the roads.”

Does this sound good to the rest of you, or does anyone have a better suggestion?
    Thanks in advance for any input. :)

2. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

Wales
    English (Ireland), Welsh, Irish
    What's your context? Is this a brochure for a travel company or something?

3. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    When I tried to write it, "hitting the road" just was not in the final cut. I also thought of "getting there" in place of "a trip." My spelling is American.

We schedule each tour at the best time of the year, so that you will be traveling in the best possible weather. With us, it's not just a trip. It's an experience.

4. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    Thanks to both of you, for the input. The context is that of a travel agency that organizes motorcycle tours. So we're talking about bikers, which conjures images in my mind of Easy Rider and Hell's Angels, but with more comfortable accomodations. I like AB's rendition of "it's not just a trip. It's an experience", but I don't think it quite conveys the idea of "boldly going" :D with rumbling motors, or of "heading for adventure." I didn't like the literal translation of "eating the asphalt."

Maybe adding the next sentence would help:
    "Ogni destinazione viene programmata nella stagione più giusta affinché possiate viaggiare nelle migliori condizioni climatiche. Per noi non conta solo mangiare l’asfalto. Certo le curve non mancheranno mai e cavalcare la moto sarà sempre esaltante per piloti e passeggeri..."
    My new attempt:
    Each destination is scheduled for the best season, so you may travel in the most ideal weather conditions. For us, it isn't just getting there that counts. Certainly there will be no lack of curvy roads, and riding motocycles will always be exciting for bikers and passengers..."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  5. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    My narrow-minded English teachers would have said that "most ideal" is illegal in English. They would say you can't be more ideal than ideal or more full than full.

My take.

For us, it isn't just getting there that counts. Certainly you'll not want for exciting curves, and we ensure that when you get on your bike, the experience will always be as exhilarating for you (the biker) as for your (the) passenger.

6. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

Wales
    At the risk of hilarity for American readers, this could work on this side of the pond:

For us, it's not just about burning rubber. Of course, there'll be no shortage of curves, and biking will always make your pulse race, as rider or passenger.

7. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    That makes sense in AE, also, Tegs, but (unless I am mistaken) I don't really think "mangiare l'asfalto' has the implication of 'burning rubber' which in AE refers to having your tires squeal because you are putting more torque on the drive wheel than can be used to accelerate the bike.

8. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    I like "exhilarating", but "exciting curves" (without specifying "road") sounds a bit risqué to me! :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  9. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Hi everyone :)

What about "hit the road" (singular)? This is what we would say in BrE. Something like

It's not just about hitting the road

10. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

Wales
    Yep, I think that sounds fine to me, but I dunno if it's used in AE (doesn't seem to be from AB's comment above). Don't add an adjective to curves Curio, that will solve your "exciting" problem :D

AB - yes, burning rubber doesn't mean the same as the Italian phrase. I guess I got carried away with idiomatic motoring phrases, without really thinking whether this one was close enough to the original ;)

11. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    "Hitting the road" does fit now that we have the whole context, and could easily drop into my suggestion:

For us, it isn't just hitting the road that counts. Certainly you'll not want for exciting curves, and we ensure that when you get on your bike, the experience will always be as exhilarating for you as for your passenger.

I don't think a dedicated biker would find "exciting curves" to be quite as risqué as curiosone does. My roadbiking brochures contain similar phrases with great regularity.

12. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    Thanks, everybody! I find it rather interesting that we seem to have come full circle, and end up with "hitting the road" ("Hit the roads" which didn't sound quite right, which is why I asked). And it's amazing how the sentence works better, just by putting the words together differently.

13. Pat (√2) Senior Member

Italiano
    Ciao a tutte, e ciao, AB, quanto tempo! :)
    "Mangiare l'asfalto" mi dà l'idea di una guida veloce, aggressiva, potente, sportiva. La moto fila velocissima, aggredisce la strada, sembra "mangiarsela". Secondo me :)

14. Passante

Passante Senior Member

Bologna
    italian
    Strano mangiare l'asfalto, ho sempre sentito dire macinare l'asfalto.

15. CPA Senior Member

Rome
    British English/Italian - bilingual
    Non so perché, ma "mangiare l'asfalto" mi fa pensare a "eat up the miles". :)

16. Connie Eyeland

Connie Eyeland Senior Member

Brescia (Italia)
    Italiano
    Ma eat up the miles non è più vicino al nostro macinare chilometri?

Mangiare l'asfalto
    dovrebbe avere il senso di "aggredire l'asfalto" con un mezzo potente (come ha detto anche V2), come se il mezzo fosse "un leone da strada".
    Per esempio, a proposito di auto dall'assetto sportivo, qui si dice: Il frontale è basso e sufficientemente "cattivo" per una macchina pronta a mangiare l'asfalto.
    E qui: Gli pneumatici, con le loro notevoli dimensioni, sembrano voler mangiare l'asfalto e tanta grinta è espressa anche all'interno.

Eat up the miles trasmette questo senso?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  17. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    In my opinion, the original sentence intends to describe the organizers' approach to motorbike touring, i.e. the quality of the trip, not just the distance covered. I don't think there's any implied sense of "spirited" riding and roaring engines. In the same vein as CPA's "eat up the miles", I would suggest stack up the miles.

This isn't just about stacking up the miles. There'll be plenty of twisties, of course, and the ride will be a memorable thrill, etc.

18. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

Wales
    This, and CPA's earlier comment, is actually more logical, given the rest of the context. So, they aren't referring to "hitting the road", which just means "starting a journey".

"For us, it isn't just distance travelled which counts" makes more sense as a selling point for tours than "For us, it isn't just starting the journey which counts" :)

19. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    We'd say clocking up the miles as well.:)