many or much ...?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by elyssia, Jun 7, 2006.

1. elyssia Senior Member

xi'an
    chinese
    Hi
    He lost interest in ____of his research .
    A much B many
    I would choose many , because I often read sentences like " Many of his rearches ", is that right ?

2. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    No it's not. "Research" is uncountable, so it is "much". "Researches", as a noun, is not correct.

3. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    much = uncountable coffee, wine,
    many = countable cups of coffee glasses of wine.

a lot = much and many

4. elyssia Senior Member

xi'an
    chinese
    Hello
    In my dictionary there is the plural form for research !
    Are you sure ?

5. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    As in "his researches were on the subject of French linguistics"? Well it sounds very strange to me - that is all I can say.:) Same for "many of his researches" - it just sounds....wrong to me. However, perhaps there are varieties of English where it is acceptable, let's hear from the others.

6. elyssia Senior Member

xi'an
    chinese
    hi
    Thanks !

7. petereid

petereid Senior Member

selby yorkshire
    english
    This should be "He lost interest in much of his research"

Research can be plural if research had been done in many fields as in:- "His researches into the cultures and laguages of the region led him to......"

8. lizzeymac

lizzeymac Senior Member

New York City
    English - USA
    It sounds "wrong" to me as well, & researches is not in my dictionaries or stylebooks.

I have seen "researches" in AE government reports written by engineers or technocrats - this type of error is becoming common in AE. It is similar to the confusion between "incidents" & "incidence."

I believe the writer means to communicate that there have been many separate research projects on French literature, to convey the scope & magnitude of the body of work.
    Does that make any sense?
    -

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    OED

However, please take care with this information because all the examples are like trousers.