"Many people" vs. "Much people"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Shohane, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Shohane

Shohane Member

Is "much people" grammatically correct? If yes, when do you say "many people" and when do you say "much people"? What's the difference?
  2. Csaba Member

"Much people" is never correct as a constituent. The two words may be accidentally adjacent in a sentence, e.g.
    "I didn't know how much people hate classical music"
    but here you are not using "much" to specify the quantity of people.
  3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    Many people want to be rich, but no matter how much people want to win the lottery, few ever do.

My point with that sentence is to show that with "much people" the two words are not directly connected; whereas with "many people" is a measure of quantity. I don't believe you will ever correctly find "much people" meaning "many people."
  4. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Hi, Shohane.

People can be singular or plural, depending on context. Do you have a particular context in mind?

Much people
    (e.g. "There was much people") is an old-fashioned to say "a crowd", but it sounds odd outside of appropriate context.

Many people has a plural meaning (e.g. "Many people were there"), people acting almost like a plural of person.
  5. Shohane

Shohane Member

For example: "I want to tell you how much people cut lines."

Is it grammatically correct to say "much people", ever?
  6. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Yes! Re-read posts #2 and #3.

Your example would mean "I want to tell you the extent to which people cut lines."
  7. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I agree with JulianStuart's interpretation of "how much people cut lines". "People" is usually plural nowadays.

"Much people" is not an ungrammatical phrase, but it only works when "people" is singular, mostly in things written before about 1800.
  8. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Just to confirm the point. If you read older texts, such as the Authorised Version or King James Bible, you might see things like

Doesn't work in contemporary English.
  9. Alberto VS

Alberto VS New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Why? If it is many people, then here people must be countable. Am I right?
  10. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    From the WordReference Random House Dictionary: people: persons as a group;
    persons in general: There were too many people in the room.
  11. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Yes, as if people were the plural of person.
  12. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England

Much is used to qualify uncountable nouns. "You will find much advice in this book."
    Many is used to qualify countable nouns: "Many apples were rotten."

"Many people were shouting in the street." People is plural (the word used as the singular is "person") and countable.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015