Many Ways to Plant

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by vasistask341, Feb 7, 2013.

1. vasistask341 New Member

USA
    American English
    Hi,

I'm having problems understanding the uses of two Hebrew verbs that correspond roughly to "to plant" in English. They are: לנטוע and לשתול.
    I've looked up examples online and it doesn't seem to really clear up the meaning. I don't think they interchangeable from what I've been able to make out.

Is לנטוע used only with planting gardens, trees, etc? I noticed that it can also mean "to instill".

לשתול seems to be used more figuratively, in my opinion. For example, it can be used to say that someone planted evidence to make another person appear guilty.

אתה רוצה לנטוע גנית היום?

Do you want to plant a garden today?

אולי מישהו שתל את הראיות.
    Maybe someone planted the evidence.

Feel free to correct my mistakes and to add other examples.

Thanks!

2. GeriReshef

GeriReshef Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    לנטוע refers generally to trees, and it is perceived in our country (which more than 50% of it is considered as a desert) as a national mission.

לשתול refers generally to little plants of flowers or vegetables is the garden.

לשתול ראיות is an allegory, like in English.

אתה רוצה לנטוע גן היום? Quite strange because לנטוע would generally refer to trees or a little wood, but not to plants in a garden.

השתלה, להשתיל = transplantation (הפעיל).

3. Tararam Senior Member

Hebrew
    I don't think there is a difference between them in the botanical sense, but it's true that for "planting evidence" only "לשתול" is used.
    BTW, there's also "לטעת" (lata'at) which is another form of "לנטוע".

garden = גן/גינה depending on context, not גנית.