María, llena eres de gracia

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by timpeac, Mar 9, 2005.

1. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    Hi. I know this is the name of a famouse film, which is translated into English as "Mary, full of grace".

Do you know why the Spanish has the "eres" and the English does not have a "you are"?

Is this originally a religious phrase? If so does it contain an "eres" in the original Spanish phrase?

2. Faith Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    This a sentence from the Hail Mary in Spanish. We say: Dios te salve María, llena eres de gracia. In English: Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee....etc etc
  3. sibol Junior Member

spain spanish
    I think the English sentence is more adjusted to the original sentence in Latin. “Maria, gratia plena “. I don’t know why we don’t said “Maria, llena de gracia”. Adding “eres”. You are emphasizing the sentence.
    “Maria, llena de gracia eres” or “Maria, llena eres de gracia “.

Please, correct my mistakes.
  4. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    The original phrase is in the Bible, in the Gospel according to St. Luke, chapter 1, verse 28, or as expressed more commonly, Luke 1:28. This phrase is the greeting of the Archangel Gabriel when he announced to the Virgin Mary the birth of the Lord Jesus.

The original text is in Greek. The rest are just different ways the translators used to express the concept. If you see several translations, you will probably find as many ways to express it, and probably no difference in the meaning.

Sometimes you cannot use exactly the same words in another language. As long as the translation expresses the meaning of the original text faithfully, it is not fair to fault the translator for having used one word or another. All synonyms are permitted if the meaning is the same. Only when the meaning changes we have the right to say the translation is wrong.

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    "we don't say", Sibol. :)

Cheers! EVA.
  6. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hello All;

A little background info...
    The 'Hail Mary' is said in the Catholic church and we are supposed to say it as penance for our sins...using the Rosery...
    Note I said supposed to...:eek:
    te gato;)
  7. cristóbal Senior Member

Te Gato, don't take this the wrong way, but you have a peculiar way of simplifying things a bit too much. ;)

By the way, it's the "Rosary". Depending on who you ask, the Hail Mary as a "prayer" predates the Rosary and definitely, the Hail Mary has more purposes than simply penance for sins.
  8. c_stella Junior Member

United States English
    Estoy escribiendo sobre la película y la significa del título.
    Quiero decir que cuando alguien usa gracia es durante un tiempo de estrés y veemos que Maria puede manejar la presión en una buena manera. por ejemplo.....
    Además creo que Maria tiene algo en común con la Virgen María porque María acepta tener el bebé y tiene confianza (fe) que su situación va a mejorar..

Mis ideas son claras?? gracias!
  9. Ushuaia

Ushuaia Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    castellano rioplatense
    Your ideas are sort of disparate! The translation is simple: Mary, full of grace. It doesn´t have something in common with the virgin Mary, it IS the virgin Mary... not much to do with stress (she was suppossed to be graceful even when under no pressure at all). Good luck!
  10. aceituna

aceituna Senior Member

Leiden (Netherlands)
    Madrid (España) - castellano
    Hola c_stella:

Yo no he visto la película, pero me imagino que sí intenta hacer un paralelismo entre la protagonista María y la Virgen María.

El título "María llena eres de gracia" es parte de la oración Ave María:

Ave María
    llena eres de gracia
    el Señor es contigo

Hail Mary
    full of grace
    the Lord is with thee

11. essexboi86 Senior Member

Cardiff, Wales - UK
    British English
    WR foreros you never cease to amaze me with the breath of information you all contribute.

I love this film and will be trying to incorporate it into my teaching. What's more, I'm really intrigued by these suggestions regarding the title's religious semantics. After seeing the film and reading your comments about the Hail Mary prayer, the title nows makes complete sense!

Are there any other meanings/levels to the film that can be explored? Does religion play an indirect role in this film?