1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Marcharse de vacaciones

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by davidjin96, Dec 23, 2013.

1. davidjin96

davidjin96 Junior Member

Wu
    Hello. "Marcharse de vacaciones" usually means "go on holiday". But it seems to me that the sentence below does not:

El Madrid lo necesitaba para marcharse de vacaciones a una distancia todavía salvable respecto al Barça y al Atlético.

Translation: The Madrid needed it to ... a distance that is yet savable with respect to Barça and Atlético.

So what does this phrase mean here?

Thank you.

2. vertebrado Senior Member

espanol (Espana)
    The Madrid needed it to go on holidays "at ease" (?,sin preocupaciones) because the distance is yet salvable with respect Barsa and Atletico.

3. Perrito

Perrito Senior Member

Estats Units
    Estats Units, anglès
    Yes, I believe it means to go on vacation here. Marcharse de vacaciones = salir de vacaciones =irse de vacaciones, etc. In this case, it could mean something like to take a break.

Also, in English we don't say: The Madrid, we just say: Madrid, we understand it's the football team. :)

Saludos,
    Perrito

4. davidjin96

davidjin96 Junior Member

Wu
    Gracias, Vertebrado. Me he equivocado.
    Felices navidades. :)

5. guwer New Member

English - Wales
    I'm pretty sure that the Spanish football league has a Christmas/New Year break, so it would refer to that.

"El Madrid" = "Real Madrid" (rather than just "Madrid" because there is also Atlético de Madrid).

My suggestion: "Real Madrid needed it in order to go into the winter break still within reaching distance of Barcelona and Atlético Madrid".

6. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    :tick: