1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Mariliendre (the best friend of one homosexual)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by jorjospain, Mar 3, 2008.

1. jorjospain New Member

in spanish we have the term "Mariliendres" which means the best friend (girl) of one homosexual boy. There is one concept similar in english?

2. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Well, there´s "Fag hag", but that´s for any woman who likes to hang around gays.

3. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galicia
    Galego (Rías Baixas)
    I think it is pejorative enough to call a gay man a fag to go and call his lady friends "hags":confused:
    If that is the only way to call them I suggest using a paraphrase of sorts.

MA

4. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    I've never in my life heard that word...

5. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galicia
    Galego (Rías Baixas)
    I had never heard it, just read it once or twice. Today I learnt what it means :)

6. Hieroglyphic

Hieroglyphic Banned

Miami
    USofA, Inglañol
    It's not in the DRAE.
    From Google, I gather it's a slang word used in Spain.
    A pointless term, in my opinion.

7. jorjospain New Member

thanks every body, it is for one work of class

and i don´t think that is pointless because is the common english, a common terms that don´t appear in the books but also are part of the language

8. Sallyb36

Sallyb36 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    British UK
    I don't think there is a similar English word.

9. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galicia
    Galego (Rías Baixas)
    I agree with you, it is not pointless. Language evolves, whether we like it or not, new words are born, other words cease to be used. My suggestion is that you leave the original word and explain it witha paraphrase.:)

10. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    Yes, there is, and it's already been mentioned in this thread: fag hag.

11. jorjospain New Member

thanks everybody! it has been a big help

good luck with everything

12. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Fruit fly is another one. Mind you, they are disparaging but they are used within the gay community, so I don't know what to say. Blacks use a word among themselves that would sound extremely offensive and unacceptable if used by someone other than...

13. Junot New Member

English
    Interesting exchange. Mariliendre seems too awkward a term to ever gain much currency. Fag hag is not really equivalent since it applies to women who like hanging out with gay men. Gay men usually use the term jokingly, but sometimes disparagingly. My consultants (gay friends) tell me they've never heard an English word that applies only to a woman friend of a particular gay man.

14. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
  15. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galicia
    Galego (Rías Baixas)
    Perhaps Jorjo did not put forward his question clearly enough, as mariliendre from what I gather applies to the female friends (not just the best one) of a gay male or a group of gay males, i.e. the above mentioned "fag hag". As to its awkwardness and will it catch on, time only will tell. After all, not very long ago the very word "gay" started as a polite (or politically correct) euphemism to avoid saying "fag", faggot", etc., did it not? And today, it has become a synonym of homosexual, having almost lost its original use.

PS Moritz, that link is outrageously funny!

16. lazylex New Member

Sydney
    Australian English
    Just thought I'd mention I have female friends who have a lot of gay male friends and they freely refer to themselves as fag-hags, at least to people they are friends with.

Whilst it may be derogative if used with the intention to offend I think generally it is used as an endearing term amongst friends