Master of science in engineering student

Discussion in 'English Only' started by MartinMcFly, Jan 4, 2010.

1. MartinMcFly New Member

French
    Hello everybody,

I am writing my resume, and I want to find the exact right title. I am a student in my 4th year of a master of science in engineering. What would be the most efficient way to put it as a catchy title ? My attempt is "4th year Master of Science in Engineering Student", but that doesn't sound really idiomatic... Does someone have an idea about how to put it the right way ?

Thank you !

Martin

2. wormhole Senior Member

Bochum,Germany
    Turkish
    Master of Science and 4 years?Then I suggest you not to write anything indicating years.(I assume that duration of your master is normally 2 years as it is in Europe)I would say "Master of Science in Engineering Student".

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  3. MartinMcFly New Member

French
    True, the Master is in 2 years, I am a Bachelor of Science (3 years), and I am now in the first year of the Master, this is why I said 4th year. But you're right, 1st year is much better.

The problem I had was with "Master of Science in Engineering Student" : does it sound good ? I think it doesn't...

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    You probably mean that you are seeking a Master of Science degree in engineering.

Don't capitalize "student" and moreover, if you're seeking a degree of any type, how could you be anything other than a student? In other words, it's redundant.

5. wormhole Senior Member

Bochum,Germany
    Turkish
    I agree with you,you shouldn't write the year (even if it is 1st year) and "Master of Science in Engineering Student" because it doesn't sound good,but I can't think of a good title right now,sorry.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. MartinMcFly New Member

French
    So sdgraham, you suggest that I should just write "Master of Science in Engineering" ? Wouldn't it mean that I actually have a Master's degree ?

7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Not if you say you are seeking or pursuing it as I mentioned above.

(Note also in post No. 5, that "cause" is misused. The word is because.)

8. wormhole Senior Member

Bochum,Germany
    Turkish
    @sdgraham

Thanks for the warning.

9. MartinMcFly New Member

French
    The problem is, that as it is a resume to find a work placement, I want to find the exact right title that would say "I am currently in (the first year of) a Master's degree", all this in a few words. If I don't put student, I don't say I am pursuing the degree... Does "1st year Master of Science in Engineering" sound good ? I don't think so...

PS : I agree with you on the "cause" :)

10. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    OK, try "master's degree program." (If you don't say "Mater of Science," don't capitalize it.)