1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Master of science in engineering student

Discussion in 'English Only' started by MartinMcFly, Jan 4, 2010.

1. MartinMcFly New Member

French
    Hello everybody,

I am writing my resume, and I want to find the exact right title. I am a student in my 4th year of a master of science in engineering. What would be the most efficient way to put it as a catchy title ? My attempt is "4th year Master of Science in Engineering Student", but that doesn't sound really idiomatic... Does someone have an idea about how to put it the right way ?

Thank you !

Martin

2. wormhole Senior Member

Bochum,Germany
    Turkish
    Master of Science and 4 years?Then I suggest you not to write anything indicating years.(I assume that duration of your master is normally 2 years as it is in Europe)I would say "Master of Science in Engineering Student".

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  3. MartinMcFly New Member

French
    True, the Master is in 2 years, I am a Bachelor of Science (3 years), and I am now in the first year of the Master, this is why I said 4th year. But you're right, 1st year is much better.

The problem I had was with "Master of Science in Engineering Student" : does it sound good ? I think it doesn't...

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    You probably mean that you are seeking a Master of Science degree in engineering.

Don't capitalize "student" and moreover, if you're seeking a degree of any type, how could you be anything other than a student? In other words, it's redundant.

5. wormhole Senior Member

Bochum,Germany
    Turkish
    I agree with you,you shouldn't write the year (even if it is 1st year) and "Master of Science in Engineering Student" because it doesn't sound good,but I can't think of a good title right now,sorry.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. MartinMcFly New Member

French
    So sdgraham, you suggest that I should just write "Master of Science in Engineering" ? Wouldn't it mean that I actually have a Master's degree ?

7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Not if you say you are seeking or pursuing it as I mentioned above.

(Note also in post No. 5, that "cause" is misused. The word is because.)

8. wormhole Senior Member

Bochum,Germany
    Turkish
    @sdgraham

Thanks for the warning.

9. MartinMcFly New Member

French
    The problem is, that as it is a resume to find a work placement, I want to find the exact right title that would say "I am currently in (the first year of) a Master's degree", all this in a few words. If I don't put student, I don't say I am pursuing the degree... Does "1st year Master of Science in Engineering" sound good ? I don't think so...

PS : I agree with you on the "cause" :)

10. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    OK, try "master's degree program." (If you don't say "Mater of Science," don't capitalize it.)