1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Masters Degree or Master's Degree?

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by DiamondTino, Sep 15, 2008.

1. DiamondTino Senior Member

Cardiff (Wales)
    British English - French
    ...as I often come across both spellings, which is quite confusing.

2. ARC26 Junior Member

UK
    UK, English
    It's difficult to say, but I think both may be acceptable.

Ideas, anyone?

3. Kurisuru Senior Member

UK - Wales.
    English
  4. ARC26 Junior Member

UK
    UK, English
    So that means the degree in question belongs to the person holding it. In the plural then, would it be "masters' degrees?"

5. DiamondTino Senior Member

Cardiff (Wales)
    British English - French
    Should we trust Wikipedia is the question.
    :confused:

6. Kurisuru Senior Member

UK - Wales.
    English
    Yes, that's correct.

The apostrophe(') indicates possession.

So I don't see why we shouldn't trust Wikipedia. :confused:

7. DiamondTino Senior Member

Cardiff (Wales)
    British English - French
    Because there are often mistakes on Wikipedia - and especially spelling mistakes.
    Then, I also tend to believe that the spelling should be 'Master's Degree', but I need a confirmation as it is for my cv.
    Anyway thanks to all of you so far.

8. Kurisuru Senior Member

UK - Wales.
    English
  9. ARC26 Junior Member

UK
    UK, English
    Having looked at a few university websites I see that both spellings are used, although that doesn't mean they are both correct.

Probably best to go with Master's, unless the Oxford University Department of English website isn't to be trusted.

10. molan315 New Member

English--USA
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd reply anyway. "Master's Degree" is correct, though it is not often used correctly.

More than one degree belonging to more than one person would be "Masters' Degrees," while more than one degree belonging to the same person would be "Master's Degrees."

11. PaulTR Senior Member

Paris, France
    English - Canada
    Looks like the Oxford Department of English has changed their stance on this issue since that post (see screenshot)... That said I'm still partial to "Master's," and it remains more than twice as frequent according to Google.

(While we're at it, let's note too that "Master degree" is definitively incorrect—since this thread is in a French-English forum and I know that people in France are often confused by the official adoption of the singular in French.)

Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 22.26.34.jpg