Matching pronouns with actors in complex, run-on sentence.

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by jack_1313, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack_1313 Senior Member

English - Australian
    Hi guys,

I'm having trouble understanding and translating the latter half of a run-on sentence and was hoping to get some help. The text is:
    It is taken from a recent opinion article in the area of political science.

My rough, preliminary translation is:
    I've got a few questions that will help me understand the sentence:

1. How would you translate مفاصل حاكمة in this sentence? As I understand it, the author is referring to geographical areas that are strategically important because they connect large centres of power. Does حاكمة essentially mean رئيسية in this context?
    2. فعل المستحيل ل – I think this might be translated as “went to great lengths to...”. Ie put in a great effort to do something.
    3. على هذا المحور – I think this is referring to the geographic region of the countries previously mentioned: Balkans, Iraq, Turkey etc.
    4. After على هذا المحور, I think that most ه refer back to this “axis” or area. But I’m less sure about the last line: وما تخوضانه فيه من صراعات تستهدف إخضاعه في حمأة التنافس الدولي
    I’m not sure whether the ه in إخضاعه is referring to the area or to النظام الإيراني, and which two actors are the subjects of تخوضانه? Is it America and Israel?
    5. As far as I can tell, مع ما يعنيه and وما تخوضانه are connected to لكنها تحتم – i.e. they introduce more things that هذه الناحية من الهيمنة necessitates. Is that right?

By the way, this is not for paid work. Thanks very much for reading!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    مفاصل حاكمة strategic locations, key intersections
    فعل المستحيل ل did the impossible to achieve
    على هذا المحور on that front
  3. jack_1313 Senior Member

English - Australian
    Thanks for that! Anyone have thoughts on what the pronouns correspond to?
  4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    هذه الناحية من الهيمنة لن تتراجع مع اكتشاف النفط الأميركي بل ستتعاظم، ولن تتطلب (الهيمنة) تقييد قدرة واشنطن على التدخل في كل مكان، أو على وجودها (واشنطن) في المفاصل الحاكمة من العالم، التي (المفاصل) تمر بين وسط وشرق أوروبا وروسيا، وبين روسيا والصين، وبين الصين وبقية بلدان آسيا الشرقية، لكنها (الهيمنة) تحتم وجود قدرات أميركية وازنة في البلقان وتركيا والعراق والجمهوريات الإسلامية التي انفصلت عن الاتحاد السوفياتي السابق، وصولا إلى أفغانستان، مع ما يعنيه دحر النظام الإيراني من توسع الوجود الأميركي على هذا المحور، علما بأن جيش أميركا فعل المستحيل لاحتلال موقع مؤثر ومفتاحي فيه (المحور) منذ تسعينات القرن الماضي، بسبب قيام إسرائيل فيه (المحور) ودورها المباشر في تقرير مصيره (المحور)، وما تخوضانه (أمريكا وإسرائيل) فيه من صراعات تستهدف إخضاعه (المحور) في حمأة التنافس الدولي.

What a decidedly stupid sentence.
  5. jack_1313 Senior Member

English - Australian
    Thanks very much إسكندراني! That is how I ended up translating it, with the exception that I'd linked تتطلب with الناحية, but the meaning would be the same either way. But I wasn't very certain - thanks for clarifying.

What made it even more difficult in that I just don't know what the author is talking about. For example, how is the fact that America "achieved the impossible by establishing a key presence in the area" in 1990s linked, in some causative way, with the "rise of Israel there" (whatever that means)? Very confusing, and I have a degree in Middle Eastern history!
  6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I think he means that America's interest in the region is linked to the existence of Israel in it (the region :) ) and their common interest in controlling it.

Now, as a mod, I'm afraid I'll have to close this thread because it's discussing a whole paragraph, which is not allowed in the forum.

Thanks for your understanding,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.