may elect to exclude certain information

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by leticiapuravida, Jan 25, 2011.

1. leticiapuravida

leticiapuravida Senior Member

USA
    English (US) - Spanish (CR)
    Hola foro,

I'm checking a translation from English into Spanish, and I find I need some confirmation whether something is correct.

In English, I'm looking at a sentence that says a person may elect to exclude certain information from the application. The Spanish translation says usted puede elegir excluir . . .

Now this just sounds odd to my ears. elegir excluir? I may just be second-guessing myself, but is it really correct Spanish to have the two infinitives side-by-side like that? Or is there a better option in such a situation?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    It is fairly common:

No basta con desear estar/ser/llegar/alcanzar/...
    Puedes decidir llamar/venir/dormir/cancelar/telefonear/...

3. Guillo1 Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Using "puede elegir excluir" is grammatically correct, and quite literal. However, if you don't like the way it sounds, there are other options. One would be to leave out "elect". Even in the english phrase it is redundant, since saying "may exclude certain information" already means you have a choice. So you could just say "puede excluir cierta información de su aplicación", and it would still have the same meaning.

4. leticiapuravida

USA
    OK, thank you for your answers. You know how it is... sometimes you're just looking at a text so long you start to distrust your own instincts.

My only problem with that is that I am trying to leave in the notion of choice here, because in the context of the document, if you choose to include these things you may proceed (it's an online application), but if you choose to exclude them, you cannot proceed with the online application, and have to use a different (paper) application instead.

From what I understand, the English text is trying to emphasize that it's the user's choice to include or exclude the information, and there are tradeoffs. If they include the information, then their application can be done online and processed quickly, but if they exclude it, they will have to mail in paper forms and potentially deal with other delays.

5. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Leticia, if this explanation is elsewhere in the document, I would prefer something like

"recuerde que, si lo desea, puede omitir ciertas informaciones en su solicitud"

maybe with an added

"(en cuyo caso deberá usar un formulario impreso)"

(and yes, I would use solicitud, not aplicación).

6. leticiapuravida

USA
    Thank you, this is a good option as well. :)