1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

May/might as well...

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Melikhovo, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Melikhovo Senior Member

American English
    Privet!
    Would someone be able to clarify how one would use the English phrase "might as well" in the following sentences? Here are my guesses:

1. Well, since you have nothing to do, you MIGHT AS WELL come.
    ну что, если тебе нечего делать, ты пожалуй можешь прийти.

2. For 200$ more, you may as well buy the newer car.
    I'm stumped on this one ^^

2. VikNikSor

VikNikSor Senior Member

Russian
    1. a small correction - ну что ж, раз уж тебе нечего делать, ты пожалуй можешь прийти.
    2. Добавив $200, ты можешь (мог бы) купить и более новую машину.

3. John Allison Senior Member

New York, USA
    Russian
    This sound perfectly natural to me, as well as Vik's correction. Note that I inserted commas before and after 'пожалуй'.

4. Melikhovo Senior Member

American English
    Спасибо большое!

5. Lotto74 Junior Member

Ekaterinburg city - Russia
    Russian - Russia

In fact, there is a small nuance. The expression "you might as well..." could be translated as "ты можешь и..."

For example: since you have nothing to do, you might as well come -> так как тебе нечего делать, [ты] можешь и прийти.

"И" means optionality and indifference here: you may come to my place, or you could go elsewhere, it does not matter much to me.

"Ты" is optional and could be omitted. In fact, words which could be easily guessed in context are usually omitted in Russian, especially in colloquial speech.

6. Philolog65 New Member

Moscow
    Russian
    I sometimes translate phrases using "might as well" as "С таким же успехом..." - it's really a matter of your choice, but there is no universal solution for translating this one.