McDonald's or a McDonald's

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Fujibei, May 3, 2013.

1. Fujibei Senior Member

When you want to go eat hamburgers at a Mcdonald's restaurant with your friends, what do you say?
    1) Let's go to a Mcdonald's.
    2) Let's go to Mcdonald's.
  2. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I would use 2) most often, but you definitely hear 1) in the USA also.

P.S. They like it to be "McDonald's" (the company).
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  3. Cagey post mod

English - US
    If I knew where the McDonald's was, I would say the second, "Let's go to McDonald's."

If I didn't know where one was or we would have to decide which one to go to, I would say the first, "Let's go to a McDonald's."
  4. Fujibei Senior Member

I you knew which McDonald's the speaker was referring to and you knew where it was, wouldn't you rather say, "Let's go to the McDonald's instead of McDonald's without the?"
  5. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    No. But if you were so unfortunate as to have several nearby, you might say, for example "Let's go to the McDonald's on the by-pass and not the McDonald's near the station."
  6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    No ... it is not as smooth as "Let's go to McDonald's." Say both of them and see which one trips up your tongue. :)
  7. Fujibei Senior Member

Thank you all for you help. One further question for clarification, please.
    what if you want to go to a 7-Eleven store, would you say, "Let's go to 7-Eleven?"
    Or, since it's most likely that there're several 7-Eleven stores in the neighborhood,
    would you say, "Let's go to a 7-Eleven?"
  8. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    If everyone knows that there are 7-Eleven stores at numerous intersections, I'd say in that context: Let's go to a 7-Eleven.
  9. Fujibei Senior Member

Thanks very much.